2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Multi-User Craziness! (Access 97)

Hi all
    Get this: i have a database (the same one i have been posting about for the past few months) that is set up on about 10 different workstations. Each has a shortcut pointing to the front-end database on our network. The problem is this: we have 3 secretaries, and on two of their machines if either of them has the database open, nobody else can open it. Every one else gets the message "Cannot open [database].mdb. File already in use." However, if any of the other users opens it first, anybody else can still open it, including those two secretaries. Everybody is running Windows 98 and Access 97.

another funny thing is that when i try to open it after one of the secretaries, i don't get the error. Instead i get the little box that comes up that says "Missing Shortcut" which attempts to find the shortcut. Once the secretaries are out of the database, my shortcut works just fine. The only difference with me is that i am using Windows 2000.

BTW the default open mode is set to "Shared".

Any answers or help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multi-User Craziness! (Access 97)

Are you certain that the secretaries have the same rights in the folder where the database resides (and if applicable, to the folder where the backend database resides)? Even if the database is set up for shared use, you will have problems if some users don't have change rights to the folder(s).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

One quick thought is to check that the two secretaries have

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks guys, that seemed to fix the problem. i guess i misunderstood our IT guy - i thought everyone had the same rights. It turned out that the two secretaries had "Modify" rights, but not "Create" rights. things are working now.

i just wonder if there is a way to give all users all the rights, except prevent them from seeing the files in windows explorer? That way Access can do whatever it needs, but i don't have to worry about them going in and deleting the database or something... is this even a possiblity?

thanks for your help

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How about setting the hidden property of the file?