Thread: window 2000

Lounger
    Thanks

window 2000

I have upgraded to windows 2000. The machine at times seems to run slow. When I do Ctrl Alt Del and go into task manager there is a program running the CPU usage on this file winkwl.exe is 90%. When I stop end the process the system runs much faster. I did a find on this file it does not find it.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: window 2000

You've got a nasty backdoor program that will allow someone to collect your password lists from the computer, and who knows what else. Information is rather scant on this program (which I believe is actually WINPWL.EXE), but it appears to collect software registration numbers.

If you haven't already, install a firewall immediately and block this program's access to the Internet. When you do a Find/All Files, make sure that you tell the system to check hidden and system files as well: click on Search Options, and then put a checkmark in Advanced. The list will expand - make sure "search subfolders" is selected.

Lastly, if you can't locate the executable, install something like X-Setup and check what is running at startup, since Win2000 does not have a utility to control your startup programs.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Try downloading and running Ad-Aware. This program tracks down spyware and eliminates it from your system. Full explanation and free download at http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Star Lounger
    Thanks

yeah - winpwl is a password stealer. When you've got rid of it, be sure to change ALL your passwords. As Mark says, install a firewall, and consider installing an anti-trojan programme in addition to anti-virus. Trojans (for that is what your nasty was) are rather different creatures to virii, and anti-virus apps can be very patchy in spotting them.

If you want some suggestions, just ask - I'll start another thread.