New Lounger
    Thanks

OL Seeking Permission (OL2K SR-1)

I have a VB 6 program that emails a report of its results to various outside users. It's been working fine for years. I just started working on a new machine, that I didn't setup OL on, and now the program is asking me for permission to send these emails. It must be something in one of the security rollups that was installed on the machine.

How do I tell OL or whoever is demanding the permission that it's ok if this program sends an email?

Thanks

Re: OL Seeking Permission (OL2K SR-1)

Any chance the troublesome OL2K is really SR-2? If so, I don't think you can get rid of this "feature" without reinstalling all of Office and SR-1a. Hopefully someone else will post that I'm wrong about that.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

That sounds like one of the "Security Features" of the Outlook Email Security Update -- sadly, I am going to guess that you are correct.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The thought that the network admin who setup my new machine had installed the dreaded Outlook SR-2, was my first guess to the problem's source. But, I checked and it is in fact SR-1 (at least according to OL 2K Help | About). When she setup that machine I repeatedly told her NOT to install the OL SR-2.

But, my thinking is that something in one of the IE security rollups is causing the problem. Or even the Win2K security rollups. The admin has been very paranoid of late (completely justified).

The permission notice is asking for access to my contacts list, but the VB program is supplying the email address in name@domain form from a database. It's not querying my OL installation. In fact, it runs from workstations that don't have those addresses in the users contacts folder.

Anyway, I don't want to disable the notice for all emails, I just want to be able to allow a few programs to initiate emails from my account. If that means telling IE or OL to allow certain exe's access to the contact list or if there's some property of the VB generated email I need to set.

Thanks

You might inadvertently be checking the contacts if you do use something like

MailItem.Recipients.ResolveAll

For more information about the programming interference, you can read a whole mess of articles on the knowledge base, starting with OL2000: Developer Information About the Outlook E-mail Security Update (Q262701). I didn't see a workaround in there.

You can use the Outlook Redemption DLL to program to Extended MAPI to bypass the Outlook object model. I haven't used this software, but it has been suggested on the Outlook board several times.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

any chance you are connecting to exchange server? that's your best bet for working with it. Second option is rewriting the code and using redemption - look for it at slipstick.com

New Lounger
    Thanks

It appears I do have the dreaded Service Pack 2. My build number is 9.0.0.4527. And according to the network admin this is SP2.

Now, how to get rid of the acursed thing. I've read many other places that it can't simply be uninstalled. But, I seem to remember Woody talking about how to uninstall it. I didn't pay attention because I knew I would never install the thing.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I personally don't recollect Woody stating that it was possible to uninstall SP-2. My understanding is that a reformatted hard drive would be necessary. Perhaps you should try the Outlook Redemption route first. HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

It was probably just wishful thinking my part.

I've downloaded the redemption dll and beginning to examine it now.

Thanks for all your help.