3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Enhanced Command Button Control? (VB6)

Is there a command button control that anyone knows about that has like a down arrow in the right margin of the command button which you can select different functionality for that command button? I hope I'm making sense.

I have a print button on my application that prints to the default printer when clicked. If I had a selectable option that the user could select on the button I could make it to where they could change it to pull up the full printer dialog to select which printer or select its attributes.

I know there are multiple ways of doing this but without going into it I have a need to use this as I just described. I've seen this type of button in other end user applications (unknown if VB) so I know someone has at least thoght of this.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Enhanced Command Button Control? (VB6)

Unless I misunderstand your query all you need to do is use a Combo Box control with the data source being a table or an array or list of items. It will automatically set up the display you describe with the box and a down-arrow at the right edge. There are actually three types of combo boxes. One is the default drop-down type (which you described), but allows the user to type in an item. Another is the "simple" box that displays the whole list of items but also allows the user to type in an item. The third is actually a drop-down list box in that it doesn't allow the user to enter anything.

I hope this helps.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Why not just use a menu instead? Your menu code would handle changing the desired behavior.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chuck,

Actually, what I've seen before is a button with a thin down arrow to the right side, a pull down within a button if you will, that allows the user to change the existing button. A combo box will work but didn't want to use that.

Mike

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, I thought about that. I actually wanted to do that for other things too but there would be a learning curve for me in using the menu controls and didn't have a lot of time to work with it. I need to crack that program open again soon anyway for something else so I'll figure a way to integrate a menu into it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Menus are dead simple in VB. Take a look at them. For something like you were describing, you would either need to get a third-party contro; or build your own. A menu would probably be a lot faster, if not as flashy,
    Charlotte