2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Save changes to document (Word2000 9.0.3821 SR1/Win95A)

When looking at letters previously prepared in Word, sometimes, when going to close the letter, Word asks if I want to save changes. I won't have done any changes consciously. The date in the letters is fixed to the date on which it was last typed, not the day on which I open the letter. Any suggestion what might be doing this? It's inconvenient, because I like to rely on the date last saved as, generally, an indication of the date of the letter. If I, or my assistant, hit the save key, often almost as a reflex action, it messes up the dates and I end up having old letters appearing to be newer than they are.

Will

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Save changes to document (Word2000 9.0.3821 SR1/Win95A)

Will,

Not sure about why you are getting the save prompt (are you by any chance printing the letter before closing it?), but in any case see <post#=61087>post 61087</post#> and <post#=4569>post 4569</post#> for ideas about how to lock the date field.

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Will:

One possibility to look at is whether one of the styles in your template (which one depends on what template was used to originally create the file) is set to "Automatically update". This setting would force a change in the document without you doing anything. Then, when closing the document, Word will note that this automatic change has been made and will ask if you want to save your changes. To verify if this is the case, go into Format, Style and look at the description of the style--if you find "Automatically update" in any of the style descriptions, you've found the cause of this message.

Thanks

Word updates fields in a document at various times, such as open and print (or print preview). If you cancel the close and drop down the undo button on the toolbar, does it list any actions that Word has done?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Will:
    This is a summary of one of Word's KB articles on updating fields:
    <table border=1><td>ACTION</td><td>WHAT'S UPDATED</td><td>Open document in normal view</td><td>Doesn't update all fields in main body of document. Updates most fields in header/footer.</td><td>Paginate or repaginate document or Opening document in Print Layout view or Switch to Print Layout view or Print document</td><td>DATE, TIME, PAGE, and PAGEREF in main body; all fields in the header/footer, including FILLIN and ASK fields.</td></table>
    Cheers,