New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 6 Favorites (IE 6)

Today on starting IE one of my Favorite folders entitled Search, which contained all of the search engines I use and discuss was gone. Further all of the sub folders outlining the kinds of engines was gone. Further in another folder, My Bookmarks that also contained sub-sub folders using the word "Search*" were all gone. Can anyone help me with either finding these or restoring these? I do have them on another computer, but I'm wondering what happened here.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: IE 6 Favorites (IE 6)

Since you have them on another computer, just copy the "Search" folder of your Favorites to a floppy and then copy to the other computer.
    No as to how you deleted them in the first place is another story, and have you searched your drives for the "Search" folder using the Search (find) function of your machine?

You have NOT stated which OS you are using,but, if you were to use the "Windows key =f the find pane will come up and you just type search in the search wing and away you go.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm using Win98 on the affected machine, WinME on the other. I've used FIND before posting and none of the files had the errant folder. What concerns me is that I've not deleted anything but downloads on this computer. I have firewall ZoneAlarm 3.0 and CA EZ-trust online virus detection/clean. Yet somehow, within Favorites any folder with the word or string "search" such as research has been deleted. I've scanned for viruses and found none. I've scanned for Ad-ware with Ad-aware and found none. So something strange is going on that I need to know about. Is my folder to large? or something like that?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

It appears that a Find was done on the word Search and all files and folders were deleted. This can be done very easly. Just select all listed items and hit the delete key or any other method of using 'Delete" and they are gone.

I have found that MOST problems like this are done by the user and they may not know what they did.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Dave. I did finally find the Search folder in Recycle along with a number of other "search files" not part of Favorites, but of other programs. Now the question is, how do I move these desparate files back where they belong. Actually trying to back up this folder to a disc did not work and I went back to recycle and couldn't see the files. Doing another Find, I found all of them and tried moving them, but not all were successful from Recycle to their original folders.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Normally, if you haven't moved folders to intermediate locations before putting them in the trash, just select everything in the trash that you want to restore, right-click & choose restore. They'll go back to their original locations. If you set the recycle bin to detail view, you'll be able to see where they came from. I leave that folder in detail view & sort it by date in descending order.
    Cheers,

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks Phil. Things seem to get more & more complicated. While trying to back up the file to the floppy, the system crashed. Then I couldn't see the file in Recycle. I did find the files in FIND, and backed them up. Then I tried to move them to Favorites. It seems I have several Favorites under a previous version of IE, i.e. ProgramfilesEarthlinkFavorites and ProgramfilesEarthlink<formeremailaddress>Favorites Mine. Putting the folder in either of these does not work. I find under My Documents, a folder Searchdbdt that wasn't there before with INDEX.* files. I find in WindowsFavoritesMine which appears to be what I see (updated) in IE, so I'll try moving the file to that area. Because of all of the patches and updates to Windows and IE that I've downloaded and installed, I really am at a loss as to what files and folders are no longer needed that I can get rid of. But thanks to all for the help on this. I'm pretty sure I've solved my immediate problem.