Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Marking in the margins

I'm looking for a way to enhance paragraphs of text with graphics.

The closest I've found so far is to select a few paragraphs and choose (Word97/SR2) Format, Borders&Shading, Box and then remove the vertical border on the right-hand side.

It's still not what I want.

I want the effect I get when I read a real book and use a pencil to bracket a chunk of text. I pencil a horizontal line from about an inch into the text, out to the margin, then down alongside the text, then back in one inch. I often pencil a comment along the line: "Needs attention", or similar.

Beyond marking text in such a fashion, I'd also like to be able to overlap such markings, as I can do with my pencil. In fact, I'd like the marking to work pretty much the way bookmarking does (overlap as much as you like), so I first checked Bookmarking, to no avail.

And I'd like the marking to stay with the text. I could u/l a paintbrush BMP of what I want if that would make it any clearer.

I'm getting pretty close to writing a macro that will work on selected text, locate the margin (ugh!??) and perhaps create a drawing object. I'm reluctant to get into layered graphics over text for my nested marking.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Marking in the margins

Would use of an AutoShape be helpful ?. The left bracket adjusted so that it is squared off sounds like it might fit the bill.

I dont think you would be looking for help for something like that though !!!

Cheers

Thanks

Couldn't you create a macro that would mark the text as a changed line for Track Changes. You can modify how such text is marked and one of the options is a line in the margin.

Otherwise, how about the highlighter. I know it's not the same, but it does stand out (at least to me.)
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You had me rattled for a while there. I didn't see the left-bracket, just the pair. I was trying to select/delete the RH bracket!

OK. That is *just* what I wanted, and quite obviously you're the expert, so two final questions if I may:

1) How to add text to the bracket so that the text moves with the bracket.

2) How to make the bracket stretch to span, oh, say, three pages?

Thanks.

> I dont think you would be looking for help for something like that though

You might be surprised at what I need help with. I mean, at with what I need help.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Chas, thanks for both these suggestions (and for telling me about the Highlighter - as far as I can see it doesn't appear in any menu item, so I'd missed it!).

1) "changed line for Track Changes" will do one chunk of text, but it can't be nested

2) "how about the highlighter" A neat tool, but it highlights the text itse;f, rather than drawing a line in the margin, and it can't be nested.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Believe me I am no expert.

With regard to Q1, you can format the AutoShape (in this case the left bracket) so that it is horizontally aligned relative to the column and vertically algined relative to the paragraph. This means that the cursor should be located in the paragraph when you apply the bracket. That should cause the bracket to move with the paragraph.

Your 2nd Question provides the eveidence that I am not an expert. Unfortunately I cannot find any option that allows you set the properties so that it both moves and sizes with the text.

I am using Word 97 (SR 1)

Sorry that I could not be of more use.

Regards

Andrew

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> Sorry that I could not be of more use.

Oh! But you've been plenty! I've never really played around with autoshapes. They are a cheap way of providing ready-made graphics, I guess. This stuff will be put on file in the back of my head and then I'll dream up a neat macro to do just what I want - span pages, nested, annotated etc

Then Geoff W or someone like him will pipe up with "Why didn't you just go to (insert URL here) and d/l the guy's template ..."!!!!! (grin!)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You are too kind.

Its just a pity that Word does not have a way of sizing as well as moving graphics with Paragraphs if not whole chunks of text. Excel can move and size a graphic automatically with a Cell. I even tried CallOuts, and was surprised that they did not expand automatically to accomodate the text. However perhaps you may find away to get them to cooperate.

Also it would also be nice if the Autoshapes and other drawings could span over more than one page.

But hopefully you are right and somebody will pipe up with all the answers.

Best of luck with your endeavours

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Another thing you might look at

There is a tab setting which draws a vertical line That could be on the right of the text.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Another thing you might look at

Do you mean "tabs" as in paragraph tabs? In Word97/SR2 I see only dot-leaders and the like.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You can also get at the different tabs this way:
    With the Ruler showing, at the leftmost edge of the ruler you'll see a button with an icon representing a type of tab.

Clicking on this button will cycle through the different types of tabs available. You can then add any of these tabs in the main part of the ruler, by clicking on the gray border just below the main, white part of the ruler.

There are new tab types available in Word 2K, so possibly the one David is referring to is not available in Word 97.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gary is spot on. I am using 2000 so you may not have this facility. I think you do have the doodah on the left of the ruler but I can't remember if the vertical bar tab was there in 97.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Unfortunately, I've picked up too many bar tabs in my day, but that's another matter!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Chris,

I am using Word 97 and have found David's Bar Tabs - never noticed them before. They can be "nested" and do span pages. The only problem I see with them is they are active for the entire paragraph, so you cannot use them to mark portions of a paragraph, which I assume is what you would like. (unless of course - most unlikely - you are one of those persons who hit the return key to move onto the next line)

As for the horizontal lines, you could use drawings so that the the top bar is anchored to the first paragraph you want to mark, and the bottom line is anchored to the FOLLOWING paragraph. (so that if the paragraph moves to a new page the line will precede it)

I am attaching a document to show the thing in operation, though I doubt if it is any way near the solution you would like. I did toy with the idea of using white drawing objects to obscure the part of the bar tab you might want to remove. However i quickly realised that just reverses the problem we had with drawings not spanning pages and auto-resizing with the text.

Any way maybe you can get somewhere with it.

Best regards - and to David for his discovery,

Andrew
    Attached Files Attached Files

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I find only four, the same four I had in Word2?

Left, Right, Centre, and centre-Dot.

I'm Word97/SR2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast