Thread: Web Server

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Web Server

I am trying to create a local environment for testing web sites before publishing. My machine is Win 2000 SP2. I need a web server which will run on the local machine and let me test the local web, including Perl/CGI scripts. I am using Dreamweaver for creating the sites. I used to Use FrontPage 98 with its own Personal Web Server.

I note that the Win2000 CD has a version of IIS - this presents 2 problems: -

I see that from the forum there MIGHT be a virus on the IIS installation, and my Win 2000 'bible' (Windows 2000 Secrets by Brian Livingston) states that tthis CD version is 'limited functionality.

Does anyone know if the Win2000 CD version of IIS supports Perl/cgi scripts, or if I do not need the awesome might of IIS, can you suggest a (preferable free) web server that can run locally to give a development environment
    David P - The Truth Is In Redmond

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

Re: Web Server

Edited by WyllyWylly to add URL code. See the Quick Guide.

If you really don't want to try IIS you could try Apache at http://www.apache.org. Many people swear by it and many people also swear by IIS.
    Joe

Thanks

Re: Web Server

Seems most logical to test on the same software as the ultimate host will use, if possible.