3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

setup on new pc (Outlook 2002)

I copied my old Outlook.pst (from Outlook 2000) to the appropriate place on new computer (Windows XP, Office XP). Contacts, incoming email, calendar are fine, but my new message email function doesn't seem to connect to the contacts list. Clicking the Address book icon next to the TO: line gets me a message that says "The Contacts folder associated with the address list could not be opened: it may have been moved or deleted or you do not have permissions. For information on how to remove this folder from the Outlook Address Book, see help..." Would someone explain? As far as I know, I don't WANT to remove anything at all.
    Thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: setup on new pc (Outlook 2002)

Right-click on your Contacts Folder and choose Properties. On the Outlook Address Book tab, check the box next to "show this folder as an e-mail address book." That should be all it takes.

Hope this helps!
    Becky

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That did need to be done and I had not remembered to do it - Thanks. However, it did not fix the problem which remains unchanged. Now what?

p.s. !!! I just discovered I have 2 Contacts folders in my address book, one of which is empty. The message is correct! I DO need to remove a folder. I'm not phrasing the message correctly to get HELP to help me. So how do I remove a folder from my address book?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This was pretty easy in Outlook 2000, but XP made this WAY more difficult. Try this: Go to Tools-Address Book. From the Address Book, go to Tools-Options. You should be able to add your real Contact list here and have everything default there...I couldn't figure out how you would remove your bad Contact list from the list, though.

I hope this helps!
    Becky

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'd been there with no success - however I revisited that screen after your message and this time stumbled on the answer. My problem was that I had 2 folders named CONTACTS - the default one was empty and I couldn't make it default to the second CONTACTS. After your suggestion that this was the right place to work, I tried again. This time I ADDED the second CONTACTS to the folder list (I have several folders and hadn't noticed that there was only 1 contact folder, where Outlook was trying to work with 2 of them). So... after both CONTACTS were in the folder list, I could remove the empty one. I assume that since CONTACTS is the default, I could only remove that name if there was another to take its place.

Thanks for your patience and help.