New Lounger
    Thanks

global property available to all contacts? (2002)

In the context of contacts, I need to set a property that's accessible from every contact--a value common to all contacts. I thought of using a contact as a data repository, then checking the values as set in that contact item, but it might be too easy to screw things up by deleting the contact.

Better (I think) would be a global property that I could set from, say, a setup tab on my custom contact form from *any* contact, that I could then access on demand from any contact without reference to a specific contact.

Any ideas? Thanks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: global property available to all contacts? (20

Categories! Assign a custom or pre-defined category...

<font color=blue>Select</font color=blue> your contacts. <Click> Edit, <click> Categories at the bottom of the list and use an existing, or create a new, Category. Use the Views and sort features to organize your Contacts by Category. There is much correct information about Categories in Outlook's Help Index.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Van. Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think this will serve the need. Let me spell out what I need: I'm working out a contact form for someone who has a large number of students. She charges tuition for each semester, etc., and wants to keep basic track of payment for the year. (wish I weren't doing this for free, but I guess I'm learning Outlook programming in the process... ;-))

The "global property" I need to set and access is the amount to be charged for each semester, extra classes, etc. There will be several, and they will need to be updated as the rate varies, but without affecting the existing contacts--so I'll use an Update button or some such to call the value when required. The amount paid will be recorded, and the amount due calculated with reference to the appropriate "global property". I don't think I can use Categories for this, and in any case I don't want to clutter her category list.

I'm leaning toward using a "Data Repository" contact as the common data source, but it would be nice if there's a way to set a property that I could access at the folder level instead of at the item level. That is, instead of

Item.UserProperties("TuitionNoVideo").Value = xxx

something like

Set MyContactsFolder = Application.GetNameSpace("MAPI").GetDefaultFolder( 10)
    MyContactsFolder.UserProperties("TuitionNoVideo"). Value = xxx '(to set)
    strValue = MyContactsFolder.UserProperties("TuitionNoVideo"). Value '(to read)

Can something like this be accomplished? Thanks,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This would be "over my head." I'd probably use an Excel spreadsheet for what you are trying to accomplish. Other Loungers may have an Outlook solution for you.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

New Lounger
    Thanks

That's OK, Van, thanks anyway. I think I can do it relatively simply using a "Data Repository" contact item in a special subfolder of the Contacts folder. I'll just call the folder something like "DoNotChangeOrDelete" and include code to recreate it if it's missing, and hope to the best...