4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Autonumber (Access 2000)

Can somebody help me with creating an Autonumber in a table?

My table orders has a field called orderid that begins from 1 but i want the table to begin autonumbering from 60,000.
    Is it possible to do it with a command? The field orderid is a primary key. Does it effect the code to build the autonumber?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Autonumber (Access 2000)

You can start the autonumber at a particular number by using an append query to add a record to your table with an ID # that is 1 less than you want to start with. IN your case, it would be Order #59999. Then compact the database. When you start adding Orders thru your form, autonumbering will start at 60,000. Of course, this assumes you don't already have an Order # > 60,000.

However, the general rule of thumb is that if you have a number that will be seen like that, in which you want to start a particular number, and where you don't want any skips in the numbering scheme, than perhaps using an autonumber isn't the best way to go. Usually a custom counter is better suited.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Autonumber (Access 2000)

<font color=6495ed>Edited by WendellB to activate link to post 147423</font color=6495ed>

Try the following link.

<!post=Post 147423,147423>Post 147423<!/post>

Try search using Autonumber as the keyword, you,ll find plenty of posts on this subject.

Good luck

Dave