Thread: Pulling old HD

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pulling old HD

I replaced my 20 gig HD with a 40 gig one because I thought it was flaky--long story. Turned out the problem was the motherboard which I replaced. I left the old HD in so I could copy the files over to the new one. I still think the original HD may be flaky. Would it save enough energy and help the cooling if I completely disconnected it or should I just leave it alone?

I'm running Windows 2000 from the new HD although there's still a boot sector on the old drive. Both drives are partitioned into five logical drives.

Bruce

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pulling old HD

If you think the old drive is flaky, disconnect the cables and see if anything changes. You're not going to get any significant cooling or performance enhancements per se, but if it's acting up, why not?
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What kind of "flaky" symptoms are you having? If there appears to be a data problem and you have salvaged all information off the drive I would FDisk and Format. Checking for bad sectors via a "Thorough" Scan disk may reveal some issues. As a resort I have not used but have had others claim they solved problems. Add a Hard Drive cooler (fan). A Stealth fan is quiet and low RPM while the prices is nice. I have used them and love the noise reduction.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Given the cost of disk drives and the major pain of lost data, as soon as it starts logging surface errors I would copy the data somewhere else and put it in the bin.

If money's tight then I might try one reformat, but watch it like a hawk, once the surface of a modern disk drive starts to go it tends to fail catastrophically shortly afterwards.

StuartR