KTYorke

Templates & Add Ins

This question has been raised in my department and left me staring like a deer in headlights...[img]/w3timages/icons/spook.gif[/img]

I'm using W97 Tools>Templates & Add Ins

What are the Global Templates and Add Ins? and what does "Checked items are currently loaded." mean?

Right now I have PDFWriter97.dot and RoboHook.wll checked and a few more unchecked.

I understand the top of this dialog box but always ignored the bottom... what is it?? (remember, I need to translate so not TOO technical please [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img])
    thanks
    have fun

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Templates & Add Ins

Re PDFWriter - I pretty sure it's a global template from Adobe that's there if you have Acrobat Distiller/Writer (not just the reader) installed on your system.

Re RoboHook - Here I'm just guessing: Do you have Robohelp installed? I know that DocToHelp adds several global templates, so maybe Robohelp would too.

Re global templates: Normal.dot is always lurking in the background as we all know. Global templates behave a lot like Normal.dot - always lurking in the background IF they're currently loaded. Even if they're not, they remain on the list of possible global templates (i.e., toggle them ON [load] or OFF [no load]).

I copied this "as is" from Office 2000 Online Help:
    Working with global templates
    When you work on a document, you can typically use only the settings stored in the template attached to the document or in the Normal template. To use any such items that are stored in another template, you can load the other template as a global template. After you load a template, items stored in that template are available to any document during the remainder of the Word session. When you're finished with the items, be sure to unload the template to conserve system resources.

Add-ins and templates that you load are unloaded when you close Word. To load an add-in or template each time you start Word, copy the add-in or template to the Startup folder, whose location is specified on the File Locations tab (Tools menu, Options command).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

When Word starts, it loads normal.dot, which is a global template. A global template is merely one whose toolbars, Autotext, & macros are available in all documents, regardless of the attached template. Normal.dot styles are also available to all documents, regardless of the attached template. [If styles have the same name in a document, attached template, & normal.dot, there is a hierarchy, but that's another story.]

If you have made custom templates and placed them in the Word startup folder, then they are global templates & you will see them checked in that dialog box when Word starts. Your PDFWriter.dot is one such template. This may have been added by you directly or by installing a program.

Add-ins are programs that can also be loaded at startup. This is usually caused by installation of applications that modify Word (WOPR e.g. is one of them). RoboHook.wll is a Word add-in library. I don't know what program installed it, but you probably do.

Suppose you create some custom templates that have specific purposes. Suppose further that you want blocks of AutoText & macros available for these specific purposes. e.g. you may want certain AutoText entries & macros available for working with tables in any Word document. You wouldn't load them at startup because you don't need them for all or perhaps even most documents. In that case, your "table.dot" would simply reside in your templates folder. When you wanted to load it (which makes it available globally), you would go to Tools/Templates & Add-ins & choose Add. Then navigate to this template & choose it. It should appear & be checked. After you close Word & reopen it, the table.dot should appear in the dialog box, but be unchecked. Then all you need to do to make it globally available is check it.

Hope this helps.

KTYorke

Wow... very cool! You have enlightened me. Thank you.
    And yes, I do have RoboHelp on my machine and will bet you money that that's where it's from.
    thanks for the lesson![img]/w3timages/icons/love.gif[/img]
    have fun

KarenDawn

When the box is checked for the global templates and add-ins, you'll notice several options that aren't available if they're "unchecked". For example, an "Export to DOORS" icon is available on my toolbar when the DOORS box is checked; the File> Create Adobe PDF option is available when the PDFMaker box is checked.

Thanks

See http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm for an examination of templates including global (add-in) templates. You can also have .dll and .com Add-ins but I've just told you all I know about those!
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin