New Lounger
    Thanks

beginner Q: writing efficient VBScript behind form (2002)

I searched this forum and the VB/VBA forum, but didn't turn anything up that looked relevant. Is there any way to call the same subroutine from several places in a lengthy Item_CustomPropertyChange() function in VBScript behind a custom Outlook form? I've got the same Select Case statement that covers about 8 cases that I need to reuse 3 times. At the moment, that's some 32 lines of code per instance, and I'd hate to repeat it unnecessarily.

Thanks,

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: beginner Q: writing efficient VBScript behind form (2002)

Abe ~ there is no limit as to how many times a subroutine can be called, nor is there a limit on where it can be called from. In general, you want to move as much of your code to subroutines "as necessary".

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Peter, that's great to know; I've been able to streamline my code somewhat. Should I be declaring my subs at the beginning of my code? I've got a decent amount of experience with programming in CorelScript and a little in VBA, but I heard somewhere that VBScript is a lot less functional than VBA and I'm confused as to what I can and can't do in VBS. Are Declare and Dim OK?

Abe

Thanks

If you mean Declare as in the kind of Declare used in VB and VBA to access external functions, no, VBS does not support that.

VBS does not recognize variable types; everything is a variant. Dim var1, var2, var3 is about as complicated as it gets, although it still is good style to use "type" prefixes so you can later figure out what you were trying to do.