2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win2000 Registry Virtual Device Driver Boot Error

I get the following Error message in the final phase of the bootup of Win2000 i.e.as the Desktop Icons and Startup programs are being initialised

SystemCurrentControlSetVirtualDeviceDrivers.VDD. Virtual Device Driver format in the registry is invalid. Choose "Close" to terminate the application

There are two buttons to choose from - "Close" and "Cancel"

Unquote

This Error showed up after I'd unplugged the keyboard without shutting down and plugged in a new one

All hell let loose with what appeared to be multiple keystrokes being entered every time I hit a key

After closing down and rebooting the above Error message came up and even though I ran the Win2000 "Repair" sequence I still have the error present and I have used both the "Close" and "Cancel" options to complete the Bootup with the same result
    i.e The boot sequence completes and I have all Windows based programs run normally when selecter

However I have a couple of DOS programs which run under via Desktop Icons genrated by dragging their BAT files onto the Desktop. When I click one of these Icons I get an Error message which again says the the Virtual Device Driver in the registry is invalid with the same "Close" or "Cancel options

When I click either one of these, the program opens as an Icon in the Tray and when I click the Icon the program runs normally on the screen

Can anyone tell me what has happened and whether or not there is any way of correcting theVirtual Device Driver format error in the Registry

Awaiting any suggestions

Max Rieper
    mrieper@optushome.com.au

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win2000 Registry Virtual Device Driver Boot Error

Mark

As the Fat Lady Said to the Fat Man

Thanks for the tip mate !!

It worked perfectly

Cheers n Beers
    Max

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Max.......you're in luck. It's caused by a corrupt registry key, and is fixable. Follow the instructions at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...US;Q254914&
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have t his same problem. I went into Regedt32 and worked my way down tothe VirtualDeviceDrivers key but to my dismay there is no VDD entry. Basically there is no + sign in the VirtualDeviceDriver Folder. I tried just adding the VDD key per the instruction without doing the delete, but it says the VDD key exists( BUT I can't see it therefore I can't delete it). I assume this means I would need to delete and add the entire virtualdevicedriver key. Is that so and if so what attributes would I add? Or can I get someone on a similar system to save their key and send to me and then I restore it? Thanks Bill