Lounger
    Thanks

running more than one doc in word (2000 sr 1a)

Hi,

When I opened word today it was acting strange, if I try to open more than one document at a time, the system freezes/crashes, have to reboot and autorun scandisk. One doc at a time works fine, any thoughts? (I already tried opening Winword.exe from program application window with same results.)

Thanks
    Sat Kartar

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: running more than one doc in word (2000 sr 1a)

Hi Sat:
    Do you get any messages? The first thing I'd try is to delete all the temp files.
    Do the following, after closing all open applications:
    1. Click an empty spot on the taskbar & press F3.
    2. Make sure that the look in box is your primary hard drive & that "include subfolders" is ticked.
    3. Type *.tmp;~*.do?;~*.wbk in the "named" box & search.
    4. Then delete all these temp files.

You also may have an add-in or a corrupt normal.dot that is causing problems. Try these steps:

1. Start Word from Start/Run menu & type

winword.exe /a

This starts Word without any add-ins, global templates, or normal.dot. Does the problem go away? If so, then:

2. Close Word.
    3. Use Windows Find to locate normal.dot
    a. Click an empty spot on the taskbar & press F3.
    b. Make sure that the look in box is your primary hard drive & that "include subfolders" is ticked.
    c. Type normal.dot in the "named" box & search.

4. Right click normal.dot & rename to normal.old
    5. Restart Word
    If the problem goes away, you had a corrupt normal.dot. If not:
    6. Use Find again to locate your Word startup folder by typing "startup" (no quotes) in step c. above.
    7. Drag everything out of the folder onto your desktop & restart Word. If this corrects the problem, it's one of the add-ins that you dragged onto your desktop.
    8. Close Word & drag each add-in back into the startup folder, one at a time, opening Word & testing after each one, & then closing Word. When the problem reappears, you will have located the add-in causing the problem.

Hope this helps.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: running more than one doc in word (2000 sr 1a)

Hi Phil,

Thanks, I had to head back to work after my lunch hour, no internet connection there.

It was the normal document template, as suspected. I had no recollection of how to bring up a pristine copy, it's been quite some time now that the SR 1 patch has kept me clear of the corruption problem.

All back to "normal," thanks again!
    SK