New Lounger
    Thanks

Reviewing toolbar automatically appearing (XP)

Hi all - Word XP keeps putting the reviewing toolbar in word documents. Track changes is turned OFF - it's making no sense. It happens to about 1 out of 7 documents opened (ok, I didn't count em but I think that's close!!) . Of course the "fix" is to just turn the stupid thing off, but that's annoying when we don't ask for it in the first place. Has anyone else had this problem? (This is an office with about 8 employees - it's only happening to two people that we've noticed, making it even weirder..). Any ideas? TIA.

Cindy

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reviewing toolbar automatically appearing (XP)

I'm having the same problem, though less frequently. Don't have any idea about a fix.

Thanks

Just curious whether the appearance of the toolbar means the document contains tracked changes somewhere in it, even if tracking is currently turned off? If so, it would be a useful annoyance for those concerned about accidentally sending out unchecked or unaccepted changes. Or perhaps the template on which the documents were based was saved with that toolbar open; perhaps that causes it to open? On the other hand, if it's truly random...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sigh - I'm afraid there's a truly random feel to this. I've gone in and turned tracking ON and edited changes, sending it to the computer where we're having the most problems. Sometimes those files open with the reviewing toolbar, but more often than not, it doesn't appear. Nice thought, I'll agree. Meanwhile.... the right mouse click destroy continues.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

At my office we think this is related to receiving Word attachments in Outlook. There is a new setting in Outlook 2002 that may be causing it.

Check Tools/Options/Preferences/E-mail Options/Advanced. At the bottom of that dialog box there should be the option to Add Properties to Attachments to Enable Reply With Changes. When I sent an e-mail with a Word doc attached, as soon as I opened it the Track Changes toolbar came on. After deselecting that option, opening the attachment did not display the Track Changes toolbar.

Hope this helps.
    egghead

Thanks

Wow, you mean Outlook is changing outgoing documents? This is truly odd, and not helpful if you think your document management system contains "the" file you sent out

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't like e-mailing a "completed" file to someone in the office as an attachment, only to get a phone call about why Word is asking about "merging changes" and then opening in Track Changes mode.
    egghead

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi - it was worth a try, but while maybe turning this option off has eliminated the problem WHEN it was a word attachment, the problem is occuring with documents that have been created on the internal network. For example - I created a new word file, saved it on the network, and then when someone else opened the file a few hours later, they got the reviewing toolbar. If nothing else, staff is getting used to right mouse clicking to turn off annoying toolbars........

Thanks for the try though!

Cindy K.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Cindy:
    While I don't consider this a solution, you could use an AutoOpen macro:

<pre>Sub AutoOpen()
    CommandBars("Reviewing").Visible = False
    End Sub</pre>

Cheers,