New Lounger
    Thanks

Toggling bold and italics doesn't work (XP) (XP SP-1)

When I try to toggle Bold and Italic on and off, about half the time it doesn't work. This happens both when using a keyboard shortcut and when using the "B" and "I" buttons on the toolbar.

What happens quite often is that when I try to toggle, say, Bold on, the "B" button appears with a box around it, like it should, but then when I type something the text doesn't come out bold and the button no longer has the box around it. Same thing happens in reverse when I try to toggle Bold or Italic off.

There's no problem when I select text and then apply Bold or Italic, either from the keyboard or from the button.

Any suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Toggling bold and italics doesn't work (XP) (XP SP-1)

This is an odd problem. You say this is intermittent. Is it related to the paragraph style at all? Is there an attribute on the style that can cause this effect.

Another possibility is the font you have chosen. Do bold and italic variants exist for some fonts but not others?
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have any of the Task Panes open when you experience this problem?

I have come across a similar problem when trying to apply a (character) style to text I am about to enter. Although the style name initially appears in the style box on the Formatting toolbar, as soon as I enter text it reverts to the previous setting. Having keyed in the text I can go back, select it all and apply the style successfully.

This problem seems to occur only when either the Styles and Formatting or the Reveal Formatting Task Pane is displayed.

New Lounger
    Thanks

1. The problem occurs when no paragraph styles are in use, and with Times New Roman, so I don't think that either paragraph styles or the font are to blame.

2. I'm pretty sure that all the times it has happened, the Reveal Formatting pane is open, since I keep it open pretty much all the time. I'll have to try working with the pane closed for a while to see what happens.

Lounger
    Thanks

I should be interested to hear whether closing the Reveal Formatting Task Pane makes any difference to your problem.

Has anyone else experienced similar difficulties with getting formatting or styles to 'stick' in Word 2002 (Office XP)?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have never seen this behaviour so I can only guess as to the problem. It sounds like it is related somehow to character styles conflicting with paragraph styles OR autoformatting of some type turned on and playing a part. Robin's suggestion of looking for the formatting pane as a player sounds valid.

I almost never use character formatting or create text with the formatting pane visible so they might be the reason I have not seen the problem.

I have noticed that there are now two more style types in Word XP. These may play a part here too.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia