New Lounger
    Thanks

Can only open existing docs (2002 SP-1)

Hi y'all, wonder if you can help me?

Word has now decided that I'm not allowed to create any new documents! I can open existing documents OK. Double-clicking on an existing document opens Word and all is well. After that I can open other existing documents (and even save them under a new name). What it will NOT let me do is:

* Open Word from the Start menu (i.e. launch into a blank document)
    * Use File New followed by any choice of template (Normal, Web Page, Email etc)

What happens if I try to is this: - a new document appears to open OK, but it's not really empty. There is a single character there which is displayed as a square (presumably means it cannot be displayed/printed). Then CPU usage shoots up to 100%! Then the application (Word=) stops responding. The only way out is a three finger salute to launch Task Manager and kill the application.

I have tried Detect and Repair. Still the same. I tried re-installing Office XP (the whole of it) from the Admin folder I created (yes, I followed all the instructions how to create and update an administrative install). That did not work either. I tried moving the places it expects to find User/Group Templates, and tried a copy of Normal.dot from another machine. No joy. (I'm sure that it's not just a corrupt template file because all templates behave the same way.)

Do I have to remove Word? Or remove Office XP? Or even rebuild Windows (which is XP Pro by the way).

By the way, XP Pro is fully patched and Office XP is on SP-1.

Thanks in advance - this is really baffling me!

XP Dummy.

Thanks

Re: Can only open existing docs (2002 SP-1)

Can you Start>Run>winword.exe /a ?

If so, Normal.dot is the first suspect. You might want to search your computer for any other instances of Normal.dot and rename them to other names. Next, be suspicious of add-ins. Installed any new programs recently that try to integrate with Word? Clear all WordStartup folders of .dot files (you can rename them to .dog temporarily) to avoid starting them.

Virus scan also advisable!

Does this help?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can only open existing docs (2002 SP-1)

Jefferson,

Thanks for that information, and sorry for my delay replying. Last night I managed to track down the offending NORMAL.DOT and remove it. This was located in the program folder and must have been corrupted somehow. I had only been looking in the folder I had specified as the User Template folder, I didn't realise Word could use other folders on a whim!

At least I fixed it before resorting to re-installing everything! I'm very grateful.

Peter, the XP Dummy (but improving day by day...)