2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win2000 Lexmark Printer Problem

I have recently migrated from Win98SE to Win2000 and have a problem getting my Lexmark LX1100 printer to function correctly when trying to print from my DOS based programs

The scenario is this -

I have installed the Win2000 LX1100 driver and like when I was running under Win98SE if I tried tp print from a DOS program the LX1100 just goes mad, it sounds like the LX1100 is just receiving a continious string of Carrige Returns, (or some initialising command that just made it make noises)

I discovered that if, after starting the DOS Pprogram but before I issued the DOS program's Print command, by going out to a DOS window and at the Command level issued a DOS prrint command i.e. C: DIR > LPT1, the LX1100 printed C Drive's Root Directory normally. By then closing the DOS window and returning to the DOS program and THEN issuing the Print command, the LX1100 printed the DOS program's file normally !!

However this routine does not work under Win2000, I get the same mad behaviour of the LX1100

Does anyone have any idea how I can overcome this problem, so I can still Print from my DOS programs using Win2000, other than buying a later model printer ?

Awaiting any suggestions

Max Rieper

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Win2000 Lexmark Printer Problem

Edited by WyllyWylly to add URL code. See the Quick Guide.

Check this KB article on troubleshooting DOS: http://support.microsoft.com/support/ kb/articles/Q165/2/14.ASP. You may need to modify autoexec.nt or config.nt to load the printer driver.
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have looked at the info on the MS URL and have not yet found the solution &^%$$#

One of the the tests was to try and see if you could print a TXT file using Notebook
    Yes, that worked fine

But when I tried another suggeted test to copy a TXT file to the printer i.e. "copy *.txt LPT1" from a Command window, I got the screen message "1 file<s> copied" but no Printer activity @!$%%

Eventually an error message appeared which said

"There was an error found when printing the document "No Document Name" to LPT1
    Do you want to Retry or Cancel the job"

Another test command that I tried which was on a HP URL which gave instructions as to how to test the printer compatibility, started with a DOS command -

MODE LPT1:,, P

This command returned the error message "invalid parameter"

I'm running the printer using the Lemark 1100 Win2000 driver downloaded from www.lexmark.com and the printer functions quire normally with all my Windows programs

Where to I go from here ??

Any suggestions ??

Max Rieper
    mrieper@optushome.com.au

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried putting a NET USE LPT1: servernameprinter into a batch file that loads at startup?
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mark

I don't understand exactly what you are suggesting that I do here

Below is the BAT file which is in a "PIF" icon on the Desktop which starts the program FOLIO that I can't get to print

The FOLIO program also includes a Menu item where the Printer Initialisation string is set for the particvular type of printer

The intitialisation string used worked perfectly under WIN98SE after I'd prepared the Print function by running in a DOS window the command "DIR > LPT1" which performed the desired printout of the Directory Then when I went back to the FOLIO program and gave it the Print command, it also printed perfectly

Can you tell me what you suggest adding to thius BAT file or whatever other way you suggest I try to and fix my print problem

Awaiting further thoughts

Cheers n Tears
    Max Rieper

@ECHO OFF
    REM Special Batch file to start Portfolio Reporter
    REM Use this to start the program NOT Folio directly

C:
    CD FOLIO

REM Set environmental variable to select the drive/path
    REM of the Dowchart data file DOWDATA.PRN
    REM Must be in the format Driveath
    REM Note trailing slash