Thread: start up

New Lounger
    Thanks

start up

when my sister tried to boot up her computer window 2000, it would not start and monitor displays "operating system not found" or something similar. My neice said her computer froze completely so she just shut it down. what can I try?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: start up

Oh, that's not a happy thing to have happen. If you have the Windows 2000 CD and the computer can boot from CD, run a repair - it should correct problems with the boot sector of the hard drive. The boot sector is what the computer is looking at to start up, and it can't find anything to load.

If you can't boot from CD, visit this URL: Q197063: HOW TO: Create Setup Boot Disks for Windows 2000 and boot with the floppy disks that you create following these instructions. You'll still need the CD, and in fact it's the same thing - just slower.

And please, please, please.....make sure you check the hard drive thoroughly. This problem could indicate imminent failure of the hard drive, and nothing will fix that.
    -Mark

Thanks

Also make sure there's no disc in the floppy drive.

New Lounger
    Thanks

thank you soooo very much!
    i have a problem on my own. My computer says that it cannot detect modem to install internet but I had at&t before and did not have any problem.