3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access Developer (Access 2K)

Is there an alternative way to develop Access applications if you can't afford the Developer edition of Microsoft Office? I'm starting from scratch here! Thanks in advance for any suggestion (except "contemplate suicide")!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Developer (Access 2K)

I understand that you can use VB to develop database applications but you're far better off using Access if you've got it.

I can't see that you would need the developer

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You don't need the Developer Edition to develop Access applications. Having either the Office Pro Edition (which includes Access) or the full version of Access by itself enables you to develop with Access.

The Developer Edition has extra tools that are useful if you are distributing your applications. The most prominent being the right to distribute a royalty-free version of the Access runtime to someone who doesn't have Access. This allows them to run your application, but all the design capabilities have been removed. Another tool is the setup wizard, which allows you to have a professional-looking installation procedure.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The primary thing that the Developer's edition of Office gives you is the license to create and distribute a runtime Access application. And that is the only way to be sure the application will run on another machine. You can certainly copy the database from one machine to another without the Developer's edition, but the target machine will have to have Access installed, along with any libraries you might have used and any third party controls.
    Charlotte