Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Strange Happenings (A2000)

Some time ago I upgraded from the MSoft website A2000(SR1).

Since this upgrade, strange problems have been occuring.

To keep my database from growing, I compact each time I close it and periodically create a new db importing all forms tables etc etc.

This has worked fine for many months and many imports until I upgraded.

It is now impossible to import anything now, I get all kinds of errors.
    This is my usual procedure :-

1. Create new db named Tmp.
    2. Import all from existing db.
    3. Tools|Options|General|Compact on close.
    4. Open any module or form in design view and set to DAO 3.6
    5. Reset the start up form.
    6. Close Database and then start running it.

Every thing is ok up to stage 4. When ever I try to open a module or form module I get the following error:-
    Error Accessing File. Network Connection May Have Been Lost.

If I keep pressing the ok button, I can get to the Visual Basic Editor (Project Screen) but none of my code will show up.
    I can set the DAO 3.6 from here but the db just will not run.

I am very concerned with this, Has any one ever come across this before and possibly have a cure.
    I can copy and paste my db !!

Dave

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Strange Happenings (A2000)

Hans
    Thanks for the reply and link.

I tried the decompile method, which really didn't make any difference.
    Holding shift and decompile, when checking in the VB window, it stays compiled.

I've been messing about with my startup form and found the error in their.
    I have some un-used code which will check for versions on the server.
    After deleting this code completely, all seems to be fine.

Thanks all the same.

Dave

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hello Dave,

I don't have Access 2000, so I don't know if SR1 has anything to do with this. Perhaps others can help you with that.

I rarely find it necessary to import all database objects into a new database - I use it as a kind of last resort when a database has become corrupt.

What I *do* find extremely useful is to decompile a database from time to time, followed by a re-compile of all modules and and a compact-and-repair. This apparently removes a lot of accumulated garbage, in particular if you have been modifying code heavily.

See the thread starting at <post#=44571>post 44571</post#> for instructions on how to decompile a database. There is also a very good tip in that thread on adding a Decompile option to the right-click menu for .mdb files in Windows Explorer. To be on the safe side, always backup your database before doing the decompile/compile/compact cycle.

Regards,
    Hans

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It's a coincidence and has nothing to do with the service release. The common cause for this problem is the installation of one or more of the 2002 apps on the same computer. They install an updated version of VBE6.DLL that can cause this problem. It's been discussed several times both here and in the GOS forum, and there's an MSKB article on it here.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>Holding shift and decompile, when checking in the VB window, it stays compiled.<hr>
    Sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. If you open Access using the decompile switch and specifying the database and pointing to the Access executable and holding down the shift key, it *can't* stay compiled. Are you saying that the Compile options are grayed out in the menu? Did you check immediately or after closing and reopening the database?

The command line argument won't work unless you point to the Access executable and you have to hold down the shift key when you open the database. If you use a single run line for opening the database, you have to hold the shift key down when you click on the OK button to start the run and, depending on the version of Access, keep holding it down until the database has opened.
    Charlotte

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry Charlotte, my descriptive errors again. My typing skills cannot catch up with my thoughts.

I meant, from the run window. "space"/decompile, holding the shift key here so the db will not load any forms.
    From here, check in the vb window and the db is still compiled.

Regards

Dave

p.s Thanks for the link.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,

As Charlotte wrote, there is something strange here. To decompile a database from the Run window, you must enter a command like

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMSAccess.exe" "C:My DocumentsAccDevContacts.mdb" /decompile

Of course, you must supply the path to MSAccess.exe on your computer and the path and file name of your database. You should get a message box stating something like (I'm translating the Dutch Access 97 message into English here):

"Program code in <database name> has been converted to the current version of Visual Basic.", followed by a suggestion to compile and save all modules.

If you have any code in your database (and you do), and if you get this message, I can't believe that your code is still compiled.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Your method works Hans.
    Cheers
    Dave