5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IP Addressing (Pro)

I have a 4-pc peer to peer network. All PCs are new Dell Pentium 4s running WinXP Pro. We have a Flowpoint 2200 DSL modem that is a DHCP server. Initial setup was fine and all PCs got an automatic IP address at logon. Slowly, one by one, the PCs dropped off the network because they didn't have a valid IP address. I used ipconfig to release and renew the connection, but failed. The only way I could get the PC back on the network was to enter a manual IP address. This has happened to three of the four PCs. Is this XP, the DSL modem or what?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: IP Addressing (Pro)

If you are running USB network connections, these may be the problem.

Next it could be DSL and what kind of hub or router are you using?

I am running a 4 computer p2p on a cable modem and a NetGear router. All has been working for several tears. At this time 3 machines running XP Pro and one XP home.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Hi Howard,
    I have had a similar problem (also with new Dell P4 machine) recently with one machine refusing to obtain a DHCP lease except on the rare occasions when it obtains one from the wrong subnet!
    Anyway, looking up DHCP on MSKB here for WinXP gives a few possible articles, some of which require you contacting MS support to obtain a new dll. (personally, I can't be bothered so I've just assigned one manually in the alternate config box)
    Hope that's of some use.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Hi Howard, Try this KB article as a starting point: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q313896. Will lead you to others for troubleshooting DHCP problems. HTH & good luck.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to all for the replies. The KB articles were interesting. I've decided it's not worth the time to dig any further and will let the manual IPs stay. I suspect it is the new dll that is required. At least MS admits "it's a known problem".
    Howard