New Lounger
    Thanks

Slow login from XP Pro to 2000 server

Just moved school lab from Win98 clients to XP Pro clients in 2000 server environment. Decided this would be the best time to use network user setup to map home directories to a drive. This is working. However, this apparently has caused a long wait during user login. Anybody know a way to speed this up or should I go back to the W98 methodology of mapping drives with a startup batch file when clients logon? Thanks in advance.
    Barry Zakes
    Ridgeland SD122

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Slow login from XP Pro to 2000 server

By default WinXP searches the network for shared folders and printers. This can be very time consuming. Have you disabled this? If not, start Windows Explorer then select Tools | Folder Options. Click on the View tab. Uncheck the 'Automatically search for network folders and printers' option. Click Apply or OK.

Good Luck
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Joe- Thanks for the help. I'll do this as well but I also found while experimenting after the post that if I use static IP rather than the DHCP service things move along much faster. Since I'm using private addressing behind a firewall & proxy, this wouldn't be too big a deal with 30 machines. Thanks again.
    Barry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Barry, You're welcome. If you want to pursue this further there are several articles in the MS KB on DHCP in a Win2k server environment. Are you familiar with using google to search the KB?
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, thanks. As a matter of fact, I mostly use google for the knowledgebase since the last iteration of redesign by MS apparently included one of the worst search engines in the universe.
    Thanks again, Barry