New Lounger
    Thanks

Excel 97 to Excel XP (XP SR1)

I use excel 97 at work. The particular file I use is updated monthly, and then at the begining of the year the file is copied, the data deleted and then updated again each month. In other words the file is a copy of a file that is 5 years old (if this makes a difference?).
    The file has some VBA for inserting dates and other simple tasks. In the past year or so a lot of formating in colour has been added to the to the file.

Now the problem

When I load the file onto my pc at home using Windows XP and Office XP an error occurs stating that an error occured while loading Sheet111111111111111111111111 Do you want to continue to load the project.

If I click OK the the file is repaired and all my formatting and VB is removed.

Is there any workaround so that I can work on my file at work and at home?

I may add that it worked OK on Windows XP and Excel 97 at home

Thanks in anticipation

Kelvin

Thanks

Re: Excel 97 to Excel XP (XP SR1)

Hi Kelvin,
    I would suggest opening your workbook in 97, opening the VBEditor and then examining the workbook in the Project Explorer. Check each sheet and see what the name in brackets after each one is. If you rename the ones that have names like Sheet111111111111111111 (in the VBEditor properties window so you change the sheet's codename, not the name on the tabs) to something like Sheet12 then I suspect it will open OK in XP. I tried renaming an existing sheet's codename to the name in your post and XP promptly crashed when I reopened the file so that would appear to be the problem.
    I hope that makes sense?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel 97 to Excel XP (XP SR1)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by WebGenii on 15-Jan-03 19:03. to add hyperlink)</P>That advice didn't work for me and I had exactly the same problem as Kelvin. Excel 97 crashed every time I tried to save the spreadsheet with the renamed sheet. There's actually a Microsoft KB article on the subject: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;236299 . Anyway, the Excel 97 File Recovery Macro didn't work for me, but I was able to copy all the worksheets except the offending one into a new spreadsheet and rebuild the problem sheet and now everything works.

Brian