New Lounger
    Thanks

Hidden Symbols & Finding Files (Word XP)

I've been a subsriber to WOW and WWW -- but this is the first time I've posted to the lounge. I was hoping someone who is far more savvy than I am can help me.

One of the things I always missed when I had to switch from WordPerfect to Word was the ability to display the hidden symbols used for formatting and editing. While I can click on the Paragraph symbol on the tool bar -- it only shows tabs, space and paragraphs. Often the document does strange things and I can't see what's imbedded in order to fix it. Is there a switch somewhere I can turn on to see other special symbols?

My real gripe, however, has to do with an upgrade from Word 97 to XP which is on my new system.

I create hundreds of documents in Word -- many of which have similar titles. In Word 95/97 when I clicked on the folder open -- the drop down screen allowed me to key a word or series of words into "File name" and then I could select "find now." A list of all the documents with those words would appear in a nice, neat list and I could select the ones I needed for editing.

In XP "find now" has been replaced with "open" and just allows me to open one document with a specific title. I can no longer find a string of titles or search by a key word in one step.

I tried to work around it by highlighting a title and then hitting "name" so it would sort alphabetically. That's when I discovered another glitch in the search by name function in the XP version that is equally as infuriating.

Once the files all resort by name, the cursor is no longer sitting on the file I highlighted. It is at the top of the list. So if the file name began with an "s" I have to scroll all the way down the list. This is a nightmare.

This was such a critical function for me that I have loaded Word 97 on my new system and that's what I'm using.

If anyone knows a way around this, I'd be eternally grateful for some help.

Oh -- one other question. I was creating a document in Word 97 this morning and went to use spell check. It didn't work so I went into "options" to see what features were one. For some reason, the grammar section was tuned on (dark letters) but the spelling section was in those gray letters that mean it's not functioning. How can I get that turned on again so I can select the features and use spell check?

Thanks again.

Thanks

Re: Hidden Symbols & Finding Files (Word XP)

I haven't seen the UI of Word 2002 up close, so these comments are based on Word 2000.

(1) "Reveal Codes" - You're right, this does not exist. There are a large number of disparately organized visual indicators, and the oddly named "What's this" function to help you here.
    <UL><LI>"Horizontal" paragraph formatting is indicated on the Formatting toolbar (left, right, center alignment) and Ruler (paragraph indents and tabs).
    <LI>If you press Shift+F1 and click a paragraph or text selection, Word will display some information about the formatting, which you need to "net out" by considering the settings of the paragraph style, any overriding character style, and any overriding direct formatting[/list]You also can make sure that field codes are displayed as gray at all times. To stop Word from doing mysterious things based on what it think you want it to do, check the AutoFormat As You Type settings under Tools|AutoCorrect. I'm sure there's more, but off the top of my head, these are the biggies.

(2) File Find - in Word 2000, this is on a tiny drop menu called Tools at the upper right of the File Open dialog. XP might have put it somewhere even less obvious.

(3) Spell check disabled - if this is document specific, perhaps the language set for the text didn't match any of your dictionaries?? I really have no idea.

Lounger
    Thanks

HI,

CrossEyes is a product of Levit & James (http://www.levitjames.com) which acts like Reveal Codes for Word. We just finished a conversion from WP to Word, and we bought CrossEyes to raise the comfort level for those folks who thought they'd be unhappy w/o Reveal Codes. I don't use it because I'm pretty good with Word - I go back to Word 1.1. But the folks here who do use it, like it.

That sucks that the ability to search on text when trying to do a File, Open has disappeared. I looked at Search under the Tools drop-down in XP's File, Open dialog box. It's very inefficient as you must define the folder or drive in which you want to search, even if your File, Open dialog box is already looking in the desired folder.

Good luck on that one!

Edited: <!t><!/t> and <!t><!/t> tags added around the URL to make the link live. -Mod.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Eileen:
    I'm not familiar with Word 2002. However, I've never liked Word's File Finder, especially compared to Word Perfect's Find File. I actually think it gets worse with each version of Word. I would recommend that you use Windows "Find Files & Folders" option. The easiest way, I think, is to click the taskbar & press F3. You can use wildcards in your search & even specify that the file contains certain text (perhaps a unique word or phrase, to help narrow down the search). I found it to be much faster than Word's search engine. You can also save the results or the criteria to a folder, such as one on the desktop, for easy access to repeat searches.
    Cheers,