New Lounger
    Thanks

Inserting text in messages (Outlook 2000)

G'day All:

I've used Outlook VBA to insert some text into a message I'm editing (using "SendKeys") . The macro is triggered by a button on a toolbar.

Sub TimeStamp()
    SendKeys " Written: " & Format(Now(), "hh:mm ddd dd mmmm yyy"), True
    End Sub

Does anyone know how can I ensure that the text always gets placed in the message at the cursor location. Most times it does, but sometimes, (I think it is when the VBA code is called for the first time) the text gets placed in the To: field, even though the cursor is in the message text...

Any ideas appreciated!

Dave

Thanks

Re: Inserting text in messages (Outlook 2000)

Unfortunately, with SendKeys, there are no guarantees that it will work properly. I have cases in which I just close the message and try again rather than clean up the resulting mess.

That said, the method I use to try to position in the Body, and this will position at the last insertion point, if any, is to send Alt+J to move the insertion point to the Subject line, and then send Tab to enter the body. Whether this might introduce as many problems as it solves must await the judgment of time.

Thanks

Oh, if you don't mind losing whatever is on your clipboard, you can simplify the process using the approach in <!post=Post #63868,63868>Post #63868<!/post>.

(Simplify is the wrong word since that one also uses SendKeys, but you could stop short of the SendKeys line and paste manually to avoid the random character dispersal problem.)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Alt+J then Tab looks like it might work, since the Alt+J is forcing it to a known location. Good one!

Re the clipboard approach, why would you use this rather than sending the text with SendKeys directly?

Many thanks,

Dave

Thanks

On the clipboard idea, it would only be a useful workaround to store it in the clipboard and paste it manually. Otherwise, very wasteful compared with the direct SendKeys approach.