Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pasting Excel Spreadsheets

I am attempting to paste a portion of an Excel spreadsheet (as a link) into my Word document. The spreadsheet is 19 columns wide, and when I paste the spreadsheet into Word, it doesn't paste the whole selected area. I have tried to resize and crop the pasted link, but nothing will work to give me the entire area that I copied (I've already changed the page setup to allow all the columns). Does anyone have any idea what's going on and why I can't get all of my data to paste? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Bob W

Re: Pasting Excel Spreadsheets

I think your data are all there. Did you use your horizontal scroll bar to check on the text to the right? I agree it

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I did check to the right - I see the edge of the legal-sized page (in Page Layout view), but all the data is not there. We did end up solving the problem by copying sections at a time, but I'm wondering why it doesn't paste all the data at once...? It seems to me that it should work automatically, w/o the hassle of copy/pasting different sections...

Bob W

When you copied from Excel, you highlighted all the columns and rows you wanted to copy, then Control C. You went to Word and went to where you wanted to begin the copy, then Control V.

If you did that I don't know why it didn't copy everything, even off the edge of the screen. I can do it with over a hundred columns by fifty rows, and they are all there. Not necessarily legible on the far right side, but there.

Do you have any hidden columns?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Is it there in Normal view?
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am not just using Ctrl - V to paste (it DOES work when I do that, but that's not what I need to do). I need to paste it as a link, so I am going up to Edit - Paste Special, choosing Paste Link and clicking on Microsoft Excel Worksheet Object. That's when it doesn't show me everything (I think it's because it inserts it as an object). Once I paste it, I see the worksheet in Word, but I can't resize it or crop it out to see the entire sheet that I copied. I hope this makes sense...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

See if you have any luck with the following :

After you Paste Link, goto Format, Object and set size to about 20%.

That should make it small enough to fit on the page, and then resize as best you can.

It might work

Andrew

Bob W

Do this.
    Highlight data in Excel
    Control C
    Go to Word.
    Go to beginning point.
    Edit
    Paste Special
    Paste link.
    OK.
    When Excel changes so does Word.
    I copied 20 columns over. I agree they aren

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure what's happening, but I did find this link:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q211/2/17.ASP>WD2000: Rows or Columns Missing from Pasted
    Microsoft Excel Worksheet</A>

You didn't say what version of Word you were using.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Oh No - not this again.

Microsoft's solution there is unlikely to solve the problem.

The crux of the matter is that copying a large chunk (there's that [censored] imprecise word again) of data from Excel leaves behind columns if the other application has to reduce it to fit by more than about 55%. Changing the zoom in Excel doesnt fix it.

The workaround is to reduce the size of the columns in Excel. The right amount of reduction requires a "suck it and see" methodology.

Set your screen zoom in Excel to see the entire width of what you want to copy, copy it and go to Word and Paste (I use Paste Special).
    Now - which was the last column that you got? Go back to Excel and eyeball that column. Work out where on the screen the right hand border of that column sits (ie under which toolbar button). Now leave the zoom as it is and resize all the columns so that the rightmost column you need is positioned no further to the right than that position. Reduce font sizes if you wish. Now try again... Voila

It's not very scientific but it does do the trick.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Cool - I was censored. Now I can really turn the airwaves blue with some colourful Australian language in the knowledge that our thought police will save everyone's innocence.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The Lounge features a colorful Australian language filter?
    I, for one, feel a bit cheated. Can we set our Lounge preferences to permit colorful Australian content?

BTW the other colorful term you used (and which was not censored), is common enough in UK and Aus., but may scandalize some US readers if the innocent derivation is not explained to them.