3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Attachments (XP )

Maybe I'm losing my mind but I swear I have seen numerous discussions of OL XP and a large list of attchement tyles (EX: xls, doc, mdb) that are automatically filtered out by OL XP without the user allowing to choose whether it does this or not. For the life of me now I am unable to find anything about this. Can anyone confirm for me of this is true?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Attachments (XP )

Check out <post#=156304>post 156304</post#>

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm still not clear as to whether OL XP is supposed to automatically block files of certain types like those of the office products. I have a co-worker who wanted to install OL XP and I recommended that he not do so because of these file blocks. He said he had XP at home and did not have this problem. After installing OL XP here at work we verified that an xls file could be sent and opened with no problem. This is contradictory to what I thought OL XP would do.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You stated that you have installed OL XP, is this a stand alone package or did you install the Office XP package? The stand alone may be different.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office XP.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I have a third party software that allows me to change different files from and being able to download using Outlook XP. Has some one added any software to do this or made any changes to the registry? There are work a rounds for this.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No and that is what has me confused. I'm tempted to upgrade OL on my system to see if I get the same results.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...;EN-US;q290497& for starters.
    Also do a search at http://search.microsoft.com/default.asp?siteid=us and use blocked attachments and you will find all kinds of input.

Lounger
    Thanks

this is a new "feature" of Outlook XP. It's possible that this may only apply in the business world where users are connected to an Exchange server. There are ways to handle this. Registry tweaks can be done on the local machine or applied to the exchange server to specify which file extensions will be allowed. as an alternative, go to slipstick.com and download the com add-in that would add a tab when you click on tools->options that will allow you to add or remove specific file extensions to be "un-blocked".

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the links. I have read over the list of file types that OL XP blocks and none of the Office product files except for Access are included. I swear I remeber reading that OL XP would block any of the Office file types. DO you recall seeing anything to that extent?
    Since it appears that these files will come through OK can you think of a good reason for not upgrading from OL 2K to OL XP?

Lounger
    Thanks

No, I don't recall seeing any of the Office product files included in the list. In general, files that are included in the list are files that can contain malicious code that can be executed on a machine. OL XP and 2K are very similar in look and feel. OL XP just has added features. The only thing that stands out in my mind right now that I can warn you about is the use of the Altenative user input - A.K.A. handwriting and speech recognition. If you do not have any use for these features, do not include it in your installation. It is quite a memory hog. If you do have a need for it, be sure to apply the AUIU.exe hot fix to your installation (this requires SP-1). Otherwise, you will experience long delays in opening any kind of attachments to e-mail the first time you open one. Succeeding files that use the same application will open just fine until you exit out of Outlook. Files that use a different application will again open slowly. The next one you open that uses the same application will be fine. You get the picture... The patch fixes this problem. There are other bugs related to Outlook XP. Nothing different from any new application. SP-1 seems to have fixed a majority of the bugs though.