Lounger
    Thanks

Autotext and pop up lists

I just read the 2/19/01 edition of Woody's Office Watch and attempted to follow the instructions to create a pop-up list from an autotext entry. I can create the list and style but when I right-click on the autotext entry, the standard autotext menu pops up, no list. The tool tip appears fine. Following is what I type for the "product" autotext entry:
    {AutotextList "product" s "ProductStyle" t "Right-click to select product"}
    Am I missing anything. Thank you.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Autotext and pop up lists

And on the same vein, I was able to create a pop up list, however, any text I type after I select my pop up word is included in the form field....in other words, the form field greyness continues throughout the following text. Any help with that would be appreciated, too; I think that particular tip is going to be of great help to me in my new job.

BAM

The way an AutoTextList works is to display AutoText entries associated with a specific Style.

I believe the step you might be missing is to create the AutoText entry *after* you have applied your Product style.

If an AutoText entry associated with the style is not found then you will see all of the AutoText entries as you have described.

If this is the case, then insert your AutoText entries, apply the Product Style and then Redefine the AutoText entry by adding it again.

btw, a shortcut for adding an AutoText entry is <Alt F3>
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, that isn't the problem. The steps were very clearly defined in the recent Woody's Word Watch, here: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.woodyswatch.com/office/archtemplate.asp?v6-n09>http://www.woodyswatch.com/office/ar...ate.asp?v6-n09</A>. I followed the steps exactly, as well as I can see.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Balby:

Two things. First, a pointer about posts in the lounge. BAM's answer was to the original poster. There are two ways to determine this. If you view the posts in threaded mode, you can tell by the indents, which post was being answered. If you view in flat mode (as I do), it's a little more difficult. You have to notice that BAM's post says [Post#: 16927 / re: 16895]. Then you have to notice that the original poster's # is 16895 & that yours is 16913.

Now, as far as subsequent text being included in the form field, press the right arrow or end key before you begin typing. By the way, the grey won't show up in printing.

Hope this helps.

Lounger
    Thanks

[img]/w3timages/icons/dizzy.gif[/img]cool, i get the same problem as lland, but can live with it for now. BUT! is there any way to click on more than one autotext? like, if i need the 1st two 'products' and the fourth? or do i have to go thru the whole "product-right click-choose-enter" procedure for each 'product' i want from the autotext list?

Thanks

The grey is just a visual reminder that you have a field there. It doesn't print out. You can turn it off or have it only show up when you have the field under your cursor.

Take a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/AutoTextList.htm>How to add pop-up lists to any Word document, so you can click your way through changes in seconds</A> which is the piece in Woody's column cleaned up and refined a bit.

I have a sample of two very different ways of putting AutoText on drop-downs on <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/download/index.htm#Tutorials>my download page</A> (www.addbalance.com/word/download/).

Hope this helps.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks

Take a look at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/AutoTextList.htm>How to add pop-up lists to any Word document, so you can click your way through changes in seconds</A> which is the piece in Woody's column cleaned up and refined a bit.

Also, take a look at the AutoText Sampler of two very different ways of putting AutoText on drop-downs on <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/word/download/index.htm#Tutorials>my download page</A> (www.addbalance.com/word/download/). It has AutoText formatted in different paragraph styles to demonstrate how the style sorting works.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Charles, I will look at them. I am not concerned about the field text grey area, as I know it will print out properly, but when I set up these drop down lists for my users, they're going to be confused, and think something's wrong, unless I go around to each of their computers and turn off the field text grey box (and I'm too lazy to do that [img]/w3timages/icons/tonguea.gif[/img]. If only they had time to learn......

Thanks

You could put together a macro that changes their setting to display when selected. You would want to get their current setting and save it in a document variable so that you can change it back.

For your macro to be "well-behaved" you would want to have the macro run whenever the document takes the focus and have it reset the previous setting whenever the document loses the focus. (I know this can be done, but I haven't done it myself.) Look under document events at the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/index5.html>MVP VBA FAQ</A>. If you do write the code for it, I would appreciate it if you would share it.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I, too, would like to be able to insert more than 1 autotext entry at a "click." Is this possible?

Many thanks.
    ACM

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Kathleen & ACM:

I was waiting for one of the VBA experts to come up with a userform that would do what you want. However, with the AutoTextList field, you can only insert one entry in one field. If you knew in advance how many entries you wanted, you could put that number of fields right after each other. After all, you can't type one word on top of the other.

If the number of consecutive entries will vary, you can simply copy & paste the field. Just type a comma & a space after the field, then shift+leftArrow back to select the field. Ctrl+C to copy & then you can immediately paste as many successive entries as you want.

By the way, for keyboard enthusiasts (or compulsive people--who me)[img]/w3timages/icons/grin.gif[/img], you can jump from field to field by pressing F11 & then bring up the list by pressing Shift+F10 (I think there's a Windows key + a letter that does it, too, but I have an old fashion keyboard).

Hope this helps.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Phil -

Thanks much, for this reply and all the others.

ACM

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Your're quite welcome. I just thought of a better idea. Select your autotextfield, inlcuding the comma & space afterward. Press Alt+F3 & make it an autotext entry (e.g. with the name "p").

Then, when you want the field, type "p" & press F3 for the first field. Now press F4 for each additional field. Want 100 fields. Hold down the F4 button until the autorepeat feature takes hold & then "CountReallyReallyFast".[img]/w3timages/icons/dizzy.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/yikes.gif[/img][img]/w3timages/icons/dizzy.gif[/img]

Lounger
    Thanks

you are too cool![img]/w3timages/icons/oink.gif[/img]thanks, I'll try it! enjoy your hints both here and on allen's newsletter. i too work in a law office, (formerly police dept which is why the piggie!) and want the autotext for specific language in boilerplate class action pleadings. now i have to explain to the 'can't find the any key' crowd how to use it!!