2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slow opening workbook (Office 2000)

At the office, we use an excel workbook for a sign out sheet. It contains tabs (sheets) for each week of the year. It is a shared workbook on one computer (we call it the file server even though it is only a peer computer). The "server" and all the other computers are running Win2kPro and Office 2000. The problem is that the shared file is getting slower and slower to open. It sometimes takes up to 5 minutes to open. Some time ago, I found that the dates were being calculated. Got rid of that and they are entered for each day now. I have turned off the calc in the workbook. Tried numerous things but it is still very slllllllooooooooowwwwwwww.
    Any suggestions ?
    Thanks,
    Tim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow opening workbook (Office 2000)

How big is the file.
    Shared workbooks can get very large if the 'Track Changes' Feature is on.
    Try removing the share and then reapplying it. It will have the effect of removing all the history from the file.
    Hopefully this helps.

Another aid is to archive the old timesheets and keep only the current details in the spreadsheet you use for data entry.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the idea. I tried it on Friday and opened the shared file from just one computer on the network. It seemed to open faster.
    I tried later to open it on my computer and it was again very slow. I guess I will keep looking for further ideas.
    Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Anti-Virus software can make this happen. Try turning the AV off and see what happens. If this fixes the problem, then contact the AV vendor to see if they have a recommended solution.
    Legare Coleman

New Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have any Excel "add-ins" that you may be running or have recently added to this workbook or computer? {Tools->Add-ins}? Outside of Auto-Save, sometimes the add-ins take a long time to load. I'd recommend that you pare that workbook down some though, 52+ sheets is a lot.