3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE 5.50 SP-2 (Win ME OXP)

Just went thru the 3rd reinstall of ME in the last 60 days. IE is out to get me. The first time I reinstalled and tried to update IE with SP-2; it never completed and eventually ME hung. The second time I downloaded and installed IE 6.0 but after 30+ hours the installation never completed either. When I tried to uninstall it, it deleted some files that ME requires; so I reintalled ME again and this time tried to apply SP-2 again. After 24 hours, the installation had not completed so I cancelled the setup. Five hours later, it is still trying to back out the SP-2 update.

Can anyone give me guidance? Why does the update take so long to install? I am running a Dell PII 300 MHZ system. What do I have to do to get current on my browser? (I disabled the firewall and NAV before going thru this; also disconnected my modem to ensure no intrusions whilst updating.)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: IE 5.50 SP-2 (Win ME OXP)

Me OS works BEST if one is to leave it alone. It was NOT designed or marketed to be tweaked as a power user or gamer would. If you feel that you have to have some thing better, I would suggest that you upgrade to Windows XP, you will be much better off or stay away from and upgrading of the OS or accessories (which includes OE and IE).
    Good luck,

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE 5.50 SP-2 (Win ME OXP)

...so that's why ME is such a custard.... (a portmanteau word, where cus=cussed, the rest I leave to your imagination).