5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Saving Searches - XP bug or my settings? (Version 2002)

Hello, I'm new to this forum and new to Windows XP. In Windows 98 I could run a search and save it as a .FND file. This would remember the search criteria, such as file type, dates, location etc. I used searches a lot. But 'my' XP doesn't remember the search location defaulting to search drives C:, D: and E: each time. Is there any way to make FND work properly? Thanks,

Chris

Thanks

Re: Saving Searches - XP bug or my settings? (Version 2002)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Talk about coincidence. Yesterday for the first time ever I wanted to save the results of a search. I followed instructions and produced a *.fnd file. When this is opened, though the query parameters are there, the file is empty i.e the list of files you'd found is not there and you have to run the Search again. Could someone try this and tell me it is/isn't just my ineptitiude.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I can save searches as the knowledge base article you directed me to outlines - but when I reopen the FND file my settings regarding drive and folder have not been saved. For example, I search "c:zz data" and save the search but when I reopen the search file the search location has changed to "Local Hard Drives (C:;D:;E". This didn't happen with Windows 98! Has anyone else had this problem?

Chris

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

You : can save the file list generated by your Search criteria, as a *.fnd file but not the search criteria themselves
    Me : I can save the Search as a *.fnd file, which does not show a file list, but does keep the criteria entered for the Search which had been saved.

Looks to me like there's a switch somewhere that one of us has got set one way, and the other the opposite.

Rgds

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply, but I can't save a list of files generated as a result of the search and never could. Windows 98 used to save all my search criteria - well almost. If I tried search several individual folders on different hard drives sometimes it wouldn't remember all the folders I searched and just the first one in the list. But now XP won't remember a single folder.

I'd be interested to know if anyone can save search results as well as search criteria. That could be quite useful!

Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think I found the answer to my problem. I had checked the TweakUI explorer setting "Force Classic Search in Explorer". This claims to make the search work as it did Windows 2000. I don't know whether Windows 2000 had problems with saving search criteria but my copy of XP won't save criteria in this mode. I unchecked the TweakUI setting and my search criteria are saved. It's a pity as I prefered the old seach style - it was easy to search a specific number of days or months - I don't like the look of the XP search interface and it seems to have less functionality - but it does save the search criteria - oh well (sigh).

If anyone discovers how to save search results or how to get the 'Classic Search' settings working please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi
    Yup, conditions reproduce exactly as you describe. I think I do notice, however, when opening a *.fnd file and running a Search from it, the file list appears much more quickly.
    That XPP does not save the results of a search I'm convinced is a bug. Would you care to contact MS, and get the kudos?

Rgds

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Contacting Microsoft? That's the kind of kudos I can live without. The last time I contacted Microsoft was about problems I was having with Word 97 not keeping British English as the language default for normal.dot. They told me I had to buy a language pack (supposedly for converting US English to British English!) and sent me to a third party vendor. Just for the hell of it I phoned the vendor (I forget who) - a lady there kindly told me I didn't need any language pack and gave me the settings to change (I needed British English Language with American keyboard default). Sorry, but I think I'll stay well away...

All the best,

Chris