Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Can't add Add-In (2000)

Hi,

I created a ppt 2000 add-in using info I got on this lounge (both for the function of the add-in and how to add it to the ppt environment). I don't think the add-in's functionality is important for the discussion here. I should also note this is the first add-in I ever created but with the instructions from the lounge everything seemed to go OK. So I appreciate the help.

That is on my PC.

I created the add-in, put it in the proper folder, added it in the Add-Ins in ppt. All worked fine on my PC.

Since this was really done for a friend here at work, I shipped it to him a few days ago. But first he had to install Office 2000 on his work PC. Our IT staff came to his office and installed Office a few days ago. He ran a test on the add-in today and it didn't seem to work. The problem seemed to be that ppt couldn't see the add-in.

I just spoke with him. He could see the add-in in the proper folder for Office 2000. We verified this in the Tools | Add-Ins | Add New dialog. He double-clicked on the add-in (the only one in the folder). The dialog closed but nothing got added to his list of add-ins. I went thru the same actions as he did. When I double-clicked, I got a msg box saying the add-in already existed.

So the question is what could be different on his PC than on mine. I checked ppt options and customize menus - nothing seems to pertain to add-ins. The only thing that I could think of is the following: when Office 2000 was loaded on my PC (a year ago), I had the IT tech go thru a custom install. To do this, he had to actually create a CD-ROM to bring to my office so I could do that. When my friend had it done a few days ago, he let the tech go thru a typical install. What probably happened (based on what would have happened for me had I not insisted otherwise) was that the typical install would be from an "Office image" on our LAN. I don't recall whether allowing add-ins is an install option. Any thoughts on this or other explanations (maybe security settings?) for why he can't seem to add an add-in to his ppt environment?

TIA

Fred

Thanks

Re: Can't add Add-In (2000)

Just to confirm: you are referring to a .ppa type add-in, rather than a .dll COM add-in? I have experience with the latter only...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson,

yep - meant a .ppa. .dll is beyond me.

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

Thanks for the suggestions. I think your baby steps are bigger than my giant steps. Don't know why I didn't think of at least trying your suggestion.

The MS site is not letting me access, right now, either of the articles you mentioned. But Q222737 is the one I used to get this going in the first place. Someone else on the Lounge had pointed me in that direction and it was a great tip (I saved the file so I can reference it anytime). However, I added a new main menu called "Fred's Add-Ins" and put my add-ins under there, rather than under Tools where you might forget it even exists.

Q222685 is interesting in that it suggests that "PowerPoint does not automatically load that add-in every time you start PowerPoint." (I have the MS TechNet CD so got the article from there). Then what good is going thru the trouble of loading the Add-In thru the ppt Tools interface (like most mere mortals would do)? Don't know if this is my friend's problem. Will try your suggestion first before copying the code for these "work-arounds".

At the risk of diverting from the subject: any progress on that Word numbering discussion we had about a month ago? [lazy] --> which is not a real smilie.

Fred

Super Moderator
    Thanks

HI Fred,

Based on more sleuthing done today, it appears that it is necessary to register the add-in.

What I'm working on here is an update to an existing firmwide PowerPoint add-in, which was done by a developer who's no longer working here.
    I'm redoing it from scratch, and wanted to also change the name of the add-in. However, when I put my new add-in, with the new name, into the PPT Startup directory, the ppa does not autolaunch. But if I change the name of the add-in back to what it previously was, then it does autolaunch.

A look in the Registry revealed that there was an entry for the add-in; not sure which method had been used to get the entry in there originally, but in my situation since it's already there (for every user) I'll just leave well enough alone and use the existing name for my new add-in.

Don't know if it's relevant, but the path to the registry entry here is: HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0PowerPo intAddIns(NameOfPPA).

Gary

PS: Re Word - apologies for not having responded yet - April thru July were 'lost months' for me due to workload, but I'm finally getting a chance to breathe a little in August - so am planning to work my way through your comments v. soon.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gary,

Something you said in the last post caught my attention. So let's see if I can recreate some things from memory.

First, you say it is necessary to register the add-in. But is it necessary for us humans to do that with one of the (explicit) methods shown in Q222685? If you had a virgin machine (at least wrt to ever having done any ppt addin activity), would going thru the ppt Tools menu suffice and create the Registry entry? I would hope so. It certainly was the case on my PC and I may have had other add-ins registered via Tools for playing purposes. I never used any of the Q222685 methods (didn't even know them until your post).

Now getting to this case and my friend. Can't swear on all the stuff below but here goes.
    - I was building an add-in to create a new slide that would list all slides with Notes on them. I first built this as a macro that you'd call from Tools | Macro. Call the sub InsertNotesDemo (IND for short)
    - I think I may have shipped this to my friend as an add-in ppa in a file called something like InsertNotes-EnriqueC.ppa. He probably installed it. It was afterwards (I think) that I realized one cannot access the subs in a ppa - they're invisible to ppt (seems also invisible to VBE). At this point, the file did NOT have AutoOpen or AutoClose subs. So he couldn't use it anyway. As mentioned my previous email, I was not happy with the approach in Q222737 of "hiding" the menu item for IND under the Tools menu. So I was still working on adding a new menu item and a reference to IND as a button under a new "Fred's Add-Ins" menu item on the main menu - all of which got added/removed by AutoOpen/AutoClose.
    - when I got the "Fred's Add-Ins" menu working, I created a new ppa called something like InsertNotes-forEnrique.ppa (purposely chose different name than above) and shipped this to him. This contains the subs IND and AutoClose and AutoOpen. This work perfectly on my PC as already stated but I never installed the InsertNotes-EnriqueC.ppa (altho I had other ppa's added for playing purposes). But Enrique can not get the new InsertNotes-forEnrique.ppa to be added to the list of AddIns by going thru the "normal" ppt steps. As cited in my first email on this thread, we did it over the phone together. I got the msg asking me if I wanted to replace the existing version; he got no msg but his list of available addins remained blank (I'm pretty sure he removed the original InsertNotes-EnriqueC.ppa early on).

Am I to understand that because he had the original InsertNotes-EnriqueC.ppa with an IND sub installed at one time (and probably uninstalled it) that he can't get the InsertNotes-forEnrique.ppa with the IND sub (+AO and AC subs) installed thru the "normal" approach and I have to use one of the Q222685 approaches? This is very weird.

You also mention changing the name of the add-in. I assume you're talking about the file-name, not the name of the sub, but I'm not sure. You also mention installing this in the PPT Startup directory. What OS are you working in? We're working in Win98. Per Q222737, I'm putting the addin in an "Addin" folder somewhere under Program Files/Microsoft Office/Addin (working at home now with Win 98 but only PPT 97 so folder may not be same). When I save the file as a ppa, the Save As dialogue (I think) switched the folder for saving. Is Startup different than .../Addin due to your OS (I know Startup for Word) or is there a reason to use Startup over Addin?

Thanks.

Fred

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi again,

The only questions I know the answers to are the ones in your last paragraph ;-)

Yes I meant changing the name of the ppa file, not the sub.
    In using the term 'Startup' I really meant the 'startup directory', which for PowerPoint apparently is called 'Addin'. Almost definitely the location will be different between Win 98/Office 97 and Win 2000/Office 2000. It sounds reasonable that when you go to save it as a .ppa, the directory it automatically switches you to is probably the one PowerPoint wants to use as its Addin directory.

With regard to the rest of the description, I can certainly empathize as I'm trying to do similar things myself, and have not yet pinned down the whys and wherefores of how it works - it does seem weird though! As mentioned in my first post, these are my first baby steps with creating a .ppa, so I'm short on answers at the moment.....

Gary

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gary,

What your last email and the one before it (where you did more sleuthing) would suggest to me is 1 of the following:
    - Windows/ppt keeps track of the ppa file name and the subs in it. Once a sub (such as my IND) is associated with a file like InsertNotesDemo-EnriqueC.ppa, then I can't have IND associated with a different file name like InsertNotesDemo-for Enrique.ppa (kind of suggesting the VBE wants unique sub names even if in different modules or different addins [again, addins are not visible to me in the VBE])

or
    - Windows/ppt, in the registry (presumably registered even thru using Tools | Addins) only allows 1 addin [xxx.ppa] at a time (that would be weird)

So now I did some sleuthing. Working at home in ppt 97 (ver 8). Start with no add-ins installed altho there are 2 add-ins in my Addin folder:
    - checked reg for the key you mentioned (but under 8.0) --> there is an Addins folder with no subfolder under it and the only item listed is "Default" with "value not set"
    - went back to ppt and added 1 of my addins thru the normal approach (this was change-view-test.ppa, which was the copy of the item in Q222737). worked ok.
    - checked reg again (but had to do View | Refresh) --> now there's a subfolder under Addins called change-view-test and 3 items:
    ---Default with value not set (whatever this is)
    ---AutoLoad with value=0xffffffff
    ---Path with value=C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeAddinschng-view-test.ppa

- now added the 2nd addin in my folder (called ViewNext Addin.ppa; this goes thru Slide View and Notes View, switching back and forth and advancing slides but it only goes to Notes View if there are Notes on the slide; if not, you go to the next slide in Slide View); everything seems OK in ppt
    - checked reg again (after Refresh) and got the subfolder and 3 items as expected

So certainly you can have more than 1 addin (whew!) at a time. That almost suggests something along my 1st hypothesis. So I did another test.

My ViewNext Addin.ppa has a sub called (what else) ViewNext.
    -I opened the original ViewNext Addin.ppt (so now I have access to the sub, as a macro, to the ViewNext sub). added a slide (since ViewNext Addin.ppt only had 1 blank slide), went back to slide 1, ran the ViewNext macro. worked fine.
    -Now I saved the file as FredViewNext Addin.ppa in the Addins folder. Note that the sub name has not changed.
    - Went to add the addin using Tools | Addins. Worked OK.
    - check the reg (after Refresh); all items present as expected. which kills my first hypothesis.
    - checked my Tools menu (my version at home was putting the buttons for the addins under Tools per Q222737 since I hadn't perfected the "Fred AddIns" menu item when I last worked on my home laptop) and there were 2 values, presumably 1 from the "ViewNext Addin.ppa" and the other from the "FredViewNext Addin.ppa". So that definitely kills my 1st hypothesis.

So some more testing.
    - deleted both ViewNext Addin.ppa and FredViewNext Addin.ppa thru ppt Tools | Addins. no problem.
    - check reg. seems ok. now only have a subfolder for change-view-test
    - use ppt Tools | Addins to add FredViewNext Addin.ppa (kind of what you did). Works ok in ppt and reg is ok.

Now for some daring:
    - in reg, I deleted the FredViewNext Addin subfolder.
    - it's still in list of Addins in ppt (hadn't closed ppt yet)
    - so I close ppt and re-open. FredViewNext Addin is gone from the list under Tools | Addins

In short, everything seems to work (in ppt97 under Win 98) as expected thru the normal ppt interface. Not clear why the approaches in Q222685 are needed - when does the normal ppt interface fail to register the addin in the registry?

Which goes back to my original question in my 1st posting (I think it was there): is there something during the Office 2000 install process that enables the ability to have ppt addins?

Fred

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Fred,

Try the following (dunno if it will work; just coincidentally I'm taking my first baby steps with .ppa's so was looking around here for info):

Have your friend delete the .ppa which you sent him
    Send your friend the original .ppt file on which the .ppt is based.
    Have him open the .ppt, then do a SaveAs and save it as a .ppa.
    Then have him re-try the procedure of loading the add-in.

Also of interest is information on how to AutoLoad a PPT add-in in MS KB Article Q222685 (sorry cannot get link to this one to work). Another MS KB article of possible interest is Q222737 - How to Create a PowerPoint Add-In.

Gary

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

The mystery deepens. I did some work on my friend's PC. His name is Enrique.

Just to set the stage.

On my PC at work, I have:
    Win 98 (not 2nd Ed) version 4.10.1998 - probably loaded 2-3 years ago - you'll see why this may be relevant as I go on.
    PPT 2000 SR-1 version 9.0.3821 loaded about 1 year ago at work (although they created a CD so that I could go thru a custom install of Office rather than their "typical" install)

On my PC at work, everything works as it should although I didn't do all the testing described in my last email (which was from my home laptop). Pretty much as I described in my last email about adding Addins thru PPT and seeing a new key (subfolder) get added under the key you mentioned (under HKEY_LOCAL_USER... 9.0POWERPOINTADDINS or whatever it was). The key corresponds to the file name of the addin. Delete the Addin thru ppt, and the Registry no longer shows the key for it. Add the Addin again, delete it thru the Registry and its gone in PPT. Great.

If there are no addins, I just see the Addins key/subfolder under HKEY_LOCAL_USER...9.0POWERPOINT with no keys/subfolders under it.

Now to Enrique's 2 systems - they work differently:

His laptop:
    Win 98 2nd Ed version 4.10.2222A
    PPT 9.0.3821

He said the above came loaded when he bought the laptop.

I looked in the registry. There was no Addins folder under POWERPOINT!. So we exported the one from my registry, imported it into his registry. Then we were able to use the PPT interface to add an Addin and saw it come up as a key (subfolder) under ...9.0POWERPOINT. A little trouble. But now he can add whatever Addins he wants thru the PPT interface. Key (no pun intended) seems to be having the Addins key under POWERPOINT. No clue to why it wasn't created when ppt was loaded (I installed Office 2000 on my home laptop and there is no option during the custom install to enable having Addins).

His work desktop, which should have been loaded from the same place on our work LAN as mine (or the CD they created for me):
    Win 98 2nd Ed version 4.10.2222A
    PPT 9.0.4527 (later than above?)

Look in the registry. No Addins folder under HKEY_LOCAL_USER...POWERPOINT. Aha, I know what to do - import the Addins subfolder. Did that. Now I should be able to go thru the PPT interface to add the Addin. Right? Wrong! I went thru it and kept clicking. The Addins dialog would not (repeat NOT) add the Addin in the Addin dialog. So I went back to his laptop, exported the key for the specific Addin, imported into his desktop registry. Now you can see it in his PPT Addin dialog. Very strange. But we're not done yet. I deleted the Addin on his desktop thru the PPT interface and the Registry updates ok. Try to add the Addin back again thru the PPT interface and CAN NOT DO. Need to import the key thru the registry again. Now we decide to leave well enough alone. But we closed ppt and re-opened it several times and the Addin does appear to be working.

One other strange item: on my laptop at home, the path for the Addin is an absolute path - C:WINDOWSAPPLICATION Data...Index...ppa (per my last email). At work, the path in the registry is a relative path - just "Index...ppa".

This is all very strange! It may be time to move this to the Office or Windows Lounge although I'll bet a beer that no one will be able to explain this. Our desktop support people were of no help.

PS: The above probably corresponds to Method 3 of MS KB Q222685. The article, in Method 2, mentions another key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE... If you drill down far enough in the registry, you'll find a POWERPOINT subfolder. But the addins under that are labeled DLL_ADDINS. One of the 1st responses to this thread questioned whether I was dealing with a DLL addin or a "regular" ppa addin. I decided not to try Methods 1 or 2 of Q222685 since for Method 1 it wasn't clear to me what was happening (altho the article mentioned that was for HKEY_CURRENT_USER) and for Method 2 it seemed to apply to a DLL addin (by saying it was for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE altho it seemed to have some code that could deal with either ...USER or ...MACHINE).

Some of this may help you on those machines you mentioned you were having problems with.

Fred