3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Indenting Numbered Lists (Word 2000 SR-1)

I have at times struggled with using bullets and numbering because Word seems to want to do its own thing, even when I don't want it to! For example, say I have column headings that read CHECK# and AMOUNT, I type the number 5670 on the first line under the heading, tab over and type an amount. As soon as I hit Enter, Word decides the next number should be 5671 and the Bullets/Numbering incon is automatically pushed in - even though I don't want it as the next check number may be somethig other than 5671.

With that said, the situation now becomes more complicated because I am working in a law office and end up type briefs and motions that SHOULD look like:

1. Plaintiff testified that on January 29, 2000, she was given an check in the amount o f $29,345.78........

Now, as soon as I hit enter, Word pushes in the number icon for me and the next item will have all text left justified under the first character of the first word - which I can't seem to illustrate here.

I have looked at Styles and at Themes and nothing seems to solve the problem for me.

So, does anyone know a way to do this. In other words, I want a numbered (or sometimes even bulleted list that allows me to indent just the first line anywhere from three to five spaces without Word deciding to do what it wants when I hit the Enter key.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks

Re: Indenting Numbered Lists (Word 2000 SR-1)

Sounds like AutoFormat As You Type kicking in. Try turning off...
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Indenting Numbered Lists (Word 2000 SR-1)

Thanks so much for the help. I should have thought of that but sometimes when you're in the midst of an emergency, the old brain just doesn't work right.

Appreciate it much!