Lounger
    Thanks

JPG Image Cannot be Rotated

Have Office 97 Pro. After inserting a .jpg image I find that the image rotation feature is no longer available (grayed out). This is evident in the drawing toolbar's Free Rotate button and also in the menu bar: Format | Picture | Size.

Never had a problem rotating images before, but I don't recall whether or not they were .jpg type.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: JPG Image Cannot be Rotated

I only have Word 2000, but you can only rotate drawing objects. What you can do it double click it to open it in another drawing program, such as MS Photo Editor, & rotate it there. When you close the Photo Editor, the .jpg image will stay rotated.

With some objects, such as clipart, (but not .jpg, so far as I know), you can select it, ungroup it & then group it again, to convert it to a drawing object. The object must be in the drawing layer (not inline) in order to do this. Another way of doing this, is to select the clipart, diassasemble the picture, & then group it.

Hope this helps.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to what Phil said, I always cut it, hit Edit-Paste Special-as a picture. If that doesn't work, then double-click it and tell it you DO want to convert it to an Office drawing.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What version of Word are you able to rotate the JPG in. I cut the jpg, then pasted special, convert to an Office drawing didn't come up, even when I attempted to use the ungroup option. Did you get it to work?

I was using Word 97.
    (I've simply rotated the jpg's in PhotoShop)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I stand corrected. Must've been a different graphic format. Anyway, some versions of MS Paint allow you to open and rotate JPGs; find the option under the Image menu.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In Paint, you don't have the free rotation like Photo Editor or something more powerful like Photoshop. I think there's only three choices of angles in Paint.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, but Paint is a heck of a lot cheaper!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

What about inserting it into Powerpoint, rotating it and then copy it. Got to Word and do a PasteSpecial and select picture...???
    -Ruth

swt89hrly

I tried to rotate a pict that I freehand created. I Couldn't get it to work either. I tried Paint, Publisher, & Word. Solution....I created a circle, then taped my text that I wanted to rotate onto the circle (after printing it) and then scanned in the image. That's the best thatI came up with so far.

KTYorke

Ruth,
    I tried inserting a grouping of clip art and drawn objects I created in Word into PowerPoint then rotating it and no such luck. It appears that an orange is still an orange no matter what MS program I use.
    That was a good go though. It had me excited for a time there. Oh well.
    thanks
    have fun

KarenDawn

Bear with me- I'm new here and this is my first attempt at replying...
    I did this in Word 97 but can

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You can use Microsoft Image Composer to rotate a jpg image and then copy and paste into Word.

Wordnerd

[img]/w3timages/icons/yikes.gif[/img]I have Word 2000. Select Tools, Options, Edit. Under the Picture Editor section, change from Word to Microsoft Photo Editor (you may have another listed, as I work on a network). Now, when you place a jpg image in your Word document, click on it to make it active, then right click and select Edit Picture. Word takes the image directly to Photo Editor where you can rotate it or do all kinds of "interesting" changes. Close out of Photo Editor and voila your rotated image has been changed in Word! Hope this helps.