Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Export without attachments (5.00)

I have a collection of related communications, with & without attachments, in one folder. I'm looking for a method of archiving the folder *without* any of the attachments. Preferably, I'd like the archive to be reinstatable into OE so that messages can be browsed by header, ordered by date etc. i.e. in the usual way.

Ideas appreciated. Thanks.

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Export without attachments (5.00)

Have a look at some of the utilities available from slipstick

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Stuart. Some of these look good, but they all seem to be written for Outlook rather than OE. Will they/any work with OE?

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure, but the utilities at http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail.htm are definitely intended for use with Outlook Express, does anything there do what you want?

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the links. Those on the housekeeping page were more geared to the task, but it still concerns me that both pages mention Outlook specifically, not OE:
    "Tools for Microsoft Outlook"
    "This page lists tools that can help users and administrators manage Outlook items by archiving items, removing attachments, repairing .pst and .ost files, renaming special folders, calculating folder size, backing up Outlook data..."

I know OE uses a different format (.dbx) file and am concerned that the tools on this site won't work.

I have sourced a shareware tool called Express Archiver, which sounds like it will do what I need. Still, I'd like to investigate the ones you mention if they're OK for OE.

thanks

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Most of the links from Slipstick are to third party tools, each of which describes the supported platforms.

For example DetachPipe says "Connects to Outlook Express, Lotus Notes, Netscape, Applix Application Suite and other MAPI-compliant email software (see our white paper) " and Message Vault says "Source systems: Exchange, Outlook, Notes, Netscape, Eudora, IMAP4, Pegasus Mail, MHS, ExpressIT, GroupWise, cc:Mail (archives and folders), daVinci e-Mail, Notework, Compuserve"

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

OK, thanks Stuart. I'll "drill down" on each of the candidates.

cheers

Alan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Slipstick is the premier OUTLOOK resource, http://www.tomsterdam.com is the premier OUTLOOK EXPRESS resource. Everything at slipstick is for outlook, a few might also work with express (or have express versions), but that's very few since OE is not as programmable as OL.

AFAIK, there is no utility that removes attachments from OE messages, and it's something you can't do easily from within OE. But look at tomsterdam - if it exists, it's there.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mary. The closest thing I found on tomsterdam was DBExtract, which I'd tried before, but it doesn't provide the ability to separate the attachments and text for separate archiving (although this is not its claimed purpose).

The one I mentioned on http://www.expressarchiver.com/ - Express Archiver seems designed with exactly that function in mind. It's shareware, so I might trial it on my "problem" folders and report back on it.

cheers

Alan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

dbxtract only does messages, attachments included.

there is a developer that has about 6 utilities for outlook and express - i thought one of his removed attachments... it cost like $20. I thought his site was listed at tomsterdam... but i can't recall his business name or the names of any of his utilities.