5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Where is boot.ini?

I have a dual boot (98/w2k) system that I'd like to change the wording on the OS choices. Where do I find it? Will it be in my W98 or W2k partition?

--KZ

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Where is boot.ini?

It's going to be in yout BOOT partition - which is C:, 99 times out of a hundred. Just edit the text enclosed in quotes without changing the path names, and you'll be fine. FYI, in XP, you can finally edit this file from within the OS - open up the System Properties dialog box, click on Advanced, and then click on Settings under Startup and Recovery. You'll get the dialog shown in the attached screenshot.

Happy editing. Oh, and before I forget....<big>BACK UP THE FILE BEFORE YOU DO A SINGLE THING TO IT!</big> If you screw this file up, you could end up with a non-booting computer - either Win 98 or XP!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I'm still trying to find it. I am running 98 and 2000.
    (That's cool about XP, but I don't have that yet.)

--KZ

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

KZ....it's probably hidden, so if you haven't enabled "Show all files" that's why you can't see it. Try this: Start - Run and enter: <pre>NOTEPAD C:BOOT.INI</pre>

This should open up the BOOT.INI in notepad for you. Do a Save As and give it a meaningful backup name, and then make your changes. Notepad likes to save files with a TXT extension, so do a SAVE AS again, this time entering this for the filename - exactly as you see it: <pre>"BOOT.INI"</pre>

Yes, the quotes too - the quotes tell Windows to save the file exactly as you typed it. If you get a "file exists with read only attributes" then you need to disable the propensity of Windows to hide things, remove the READ ONLY attribute, and try again.

HTH,
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That did it. Thank you!!!

--KZ