New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot Find Word (Outlook 2002)

I recently installed a software upgrade to another program (installshield). Afterwards when I tried to create a new email or reply to an email I got an error saying that Outlook could not find Word or that Word was busy and it was reverting to the internal editor. I could not fix this, I eventually had to restore my system from a backup to get Outlook to work correctly.

Any idea of what is making Outlook myopic? Word is present and runs fine.

Regards, Lou

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot Find Word (Outlook 2002)

there could be a couple of reasons why this message is showing. One is when you have Office 2000 and Office XP installed concurrently in your machine. Second is old registry settings from previous versions of Office. In your case, I suspect the latter. There are two ways to fix the problem. The obvious one is not to use Word as your e-mail editor. However, I assume that you want to use Word as your e-mail editor. The only fix then would be to go to the registry and clean up settings from the previous versions of Office. As usual, before touching the registry, it is safe practice to save it first. In the registry, look for HK_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftOffice8.0 or 9.0 (anything less than 10 which is the number for XP). Click on it to highlight, go to edit and select delete. Do the same for the entry in HK_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cannot Find Word (Outlook 2002)

Thanks,

I do have both 9.0 and 8.0 entries under Office as well as 10.0. I never had either of the older versions installed on this machine but one of them was there because an older version of Publisher was installed and the other came from installing PhotoDraw.

I will try your suggestion as soon as I have a chance to backup my entire system - just in case it does not work.

Regards, Lou