dying93

Distribution List problem Outlook 2000

User created her own distribution list under contacts but is unable to consistently send attachments to certain users

She is trying to send a .PDF attachment and a .doc attachment.

She says that she also has the distribution list in her personal address book. When she sends it from her PAB, she can send her emails and all users receive the attachments consistently.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Thanks

Re: Distribution List problem Outlook 2000

Hope you're not really dying!

The answer depends on exactly what is happening. So...

1. do the messages get returned? or
    2. do the recipients receive only the text? or
    3. do the recipients receive gibberish attachments?

Suggestions:

1. We have had a small but growing number of errors from the recipient's mail server stating that an attachment could not be sorted out from the text of the message ("conversion failed"). With OL2K configured for "Corporate Workgroup" mode, we open the Options dialog, click Internet Email, and change the encoding to Base64, and this solves the problem.

2. Hmmm...

3. This can occur when addressees are configured to always be sent rich text. Two ways to check: (1) create a new message to the recipient and double click her/his address; (2) double-click the recipient's e-mail address in her/his record in the Contacts folder. Try turning off rich text if you find it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

are the other users also using outlook? could it be that the attachments are in winmail.dat files because she is using RTF format and the others can't decode it?

contacts can be set to always use RTF, the PAB can not. have her check the contacts of the users not getting the attachment and see if they are set for RTF.

Thanks

Actually, I use only PAB, and it has a checkbox for RTF. Since I upgraded to 2000, I haven't noticed it getting set inadvertently, although it sometimes happened when I used the right-click-add-to-PAB in 97.

Also, on second thought, I think I mixed up my scenarios 2 and 3 in my original message. RTF messages did lose their attachments for some recipients, maybe before Outlook became so dominant.

dying93

Thanks everyone...no I am not dying it is a long story

You all are quite good.

The message originated in the United States but was received in Canada. The users there were using Lotus notes.
    The user claims to have tried to send this in plain text with the same problem though.

RTF is being used to deliver the typical mails though.

I grabbed the attachment and you all are on to something.

It arrived there as a winmail.dat file.

Is there anyway that the users on the other end could decode this without Office like some sort of decoder.
    I always thought that Lotus notes should be able to decode this information.

Thanks

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

[img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]When I get failed mailings from one of my lists, I find that it's always the people with off-beat ISPs who have restrictive limits on attachment/mail sizes, or who have AOL and the attachments get "converted & perverted".

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.fentun.com>fentun</A>

they just drop the winmail.dat on this freeware app and it'll pop it open.

there are instructions on making it a helper app, but that's not necessary. just keep it on the desktop or whereever and drop the winmail on it.

works on all windows OS AFAIK, although the site says for win95