Star Lounger
    Thanks

Graphics-not printing (Word 2002/Word 2000)

Here's the scenario:
    Document created in Word 2000. EPS graphics inserted, print fine.
    Document edited in Word 2002 - graphics not changed. Document and graphics print from Word 2002.
    Open same document in Word 2000. Graphics are viewable in page layout/normal view/print preview, but graphics will not print from Word 2000. If we reinsert graphics using Word 2000, the graphics print.

Is this normal? Are we missing something? Does this mean that Word 2002 is not backwards compatible or what switch do we need to turn off in Word 2002 so that the graphics remain intact for Word 2000?

Thanks,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Graphics-not printing (Word 2002/Word 2000)

It sounds like a bug in moving between formats and the MS knowledgebase mentions that there have been 'improved fidelity of pictures and drawings' in Word 2002.

I have not seen this behaviour in the past but I rarely use EPS as a graphic format because of the output problems. You don't have a great deal of choice if your pictures are coming from Illustrator though.

At the risk of telling you things you already know...
    Is everything being printed on Postscript printers using postscript drivers? You may be running into a problem because of the graphic format clashing with your printer/printer drivers on the different machines running Word.

EPS is a tricky format. An Encapsulated PostScript file contains the information required to output on a printer but may or may not contain a low resolution (TIF bitmap) header that allows it to be viewable on screen. The presence of the TIF header is an option that the software creating the EPS can select. When there is no TIF header in the EPS you will only see an empty box on screen (or when output on a Non-postscript printer). When the file contains a TIF header then you will see that on screen and when printing to a PostScript device you will get the high resolution output as intended but when printing to a Non-PostScript device you will get the low resolution header instead of the intended good info.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I think the 'improved fidelity of pictures and drawings' must be the problem. We are all using the same printer drivers. I think that when saving the eps files in Word 2002 the eps files lost some of their characteristics. So, I guess the graphic artists will have to try to figure this one out.

If anyone else experiences this, please let me know. (We are moving to high-resoultion jpgs for future projects.)

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Ruth,

I don't have Word 2002 so can't check this, but wonder if there is some setting under Tools > Compatibiliy that you can set to make Word 2002's behavior in this regard resemble Word 2000's?

Gary

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ruth:
    Or following up on what Gary said, perhaps Tools/Options/Save & is there a tickbox for "Disable features not supported by Word 2000?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. I will have to install the program too. I was supporting a writer who had it and we did not. When she saved the docs in Word 2002 the graphics were definitely affected when printed from Word 2000 - it's like the graphics were corrupted. When she used Word 2000 and reinserted original graphics, all worked fine. If I find out anything else I'll let you know.

Thanks for the responses.