csg3

Errant Dialog Box

I had to reformat my drive and reinstall all the applications. I now get a small dialog box with the word 'OK' and a small letter 'i' that appears at boot up at just about the same time as my password dialog box appears. I have been unable to identify the cause of this box so I cannot eliminate it. I suspect it is left over from one of one of the programs that I re-installed. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to how I find out what is loading at this time. MSconfig does not help, the run keys of the registry don't help (at least I don't think they do)and when I hit Ctrl/Alt/Del the box is totally empty because the GUI is just starting to load. I would love help from anyone.

ileacy

Re: Errant Dialog Box

RegCleaner, which was discussed in Software Finds can probably help you clean up. See this <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=free&Number=16970&page=0&vi ew=collapsed&sb=5&part=1&vc=1>thread</A>

DougJ

One of my pet peeves is when people assume any errant behavior of their system is caused by a virus. It's seldom the case, but your case may be the exception. I know I've read exactly what you describe as the symptoms to a virus about 2 years ago, but I can't for the life of me remember (or find) which one it is. Whichever it is, it sounds like it's not working completely. What I remember is that you'd only see the "i" dialog once per infection, so if you're getting it on every reboot it sounds like you're (probably) not completely infected. I'd run a full virus scan to see what it finds.

dcj2
    (with all due apologies if I'm totally off base on this ;-)

DougJ

As my good friend Homer would say: "Doh!"

Did a little more digging and finally realized I was thinking of the original "Concept" macro virus that would display a dialog box with a "1" (not an "i") when you opened an infected document. You clicked OK, triggered the payload that infected your NORMAL.DOT, then you never saw the box again. Similar symptoms, but clearly not what Carl was describing. Sorry for the false alarm.

dcj2