3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

10-y-o let loose on Internet (IE 5.5 sp2)

I'm setting up a system for my 10-y-o niece and looking at installing some sort of restriction as to what and where she can surf. I've had a look around the Lounge and found a thread at Post 98391 which was of some help, but I could use some more advice. Net Nanny is another that I've looked at, but I'd rather not pay UK

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: 10-y-o let loose on Internet (IE 5.5 sp2)

I recently set up the Content Advisor on my nephew's computer. The RSACi settings are apparently outdated -- they are supposed to be supplanted by the ICRA. To use this with the Content Advisor you need to first get a new ".rat" (ratings) file from ICRA. It is available here. I left both the ICRA and the RSACi ratings files active. From what I can tell these are both part of "PICS" (Platform for Internet Content Selection). ICRA also has a separate free-standing "ICRAfilter" program that on the surface seems to do the same thing -- you should not need to use both the updated Content Advisor and ICRAfilter.

You can read about installing and activating the icra.rat file for the Content Advisor on this page. The directions and images on that page tell you exactly how to do this. I think it is quite well done.

Now, the one issue I have is that I do NOT know for sure how many sites have adopted these ratings systems. Also, if you choose to block all sites that aren't rated, you will get a lot of Warning screens. This is OK if you want to hand pick out which web site can be accessed. On second thought, perhaps this is a good idea. It depends on how restrictive you want to be.