KTYorke

Italic and Bold print subscript [sad]

I've seen this before but now there's a wrench with my stock answer...

When one of the users here prints her document all the bold and italic letters/words appear as if they're subscript. They look fine on the screen. Whenever this happened we reinstalled printer drivers and all was right with the world for a few months until the problem cropped up again.

Now however, she's run into the same problem and this time she said the re-install didn't work. (I am not IT, merely a fellow writer who has begged the IT powers in the past to come and reinstall my drivers when this has happened)

I want to know if anyone else has ever seen this and if you know of another cause/solution.

We are using W97-SR2 (on a network) hooked up to an HP LazerJet 5SI.

One of the strangest things is that she was printing out about 10 documents (all separate chapters) and chapter 8 had this problem... the whole document was effected but it was printed in the middle of the series; and all the others before and after came out fine. This is what is leading me to believe it isn't a driver issue anymore.

have fun

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Italic and Bold print subscript [sad]

Hi, KT

I don't have 97, and did very little with it between 95 and 2K. My first guess would have been the same as yours. Have your coworker check (with the document open) the compatability option. I'm thinking the document may have come from outside your office and compatability is making a font substitution because she doesn't have the exact font.
    Karen

KTYorke

No dice Karen... we create all the docs right here... we're the documentation department [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/w3timages/icons/doh.gif[/img] Good suggestion though. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I asked her to print out the renegade chapter again and it still came out funny, and when she printed the next chapter again, it too came out funny. We called the IT guy over, he reinstalled the driver and all is again, right with the world. The whole thing now prints out fine.

If it happens again any time soon I told her to have the IT guy really give her computer a once over, the drivers shouldn't be corrupted like that so often (she just had the drivers updated about a month ago).

Thanks again for trying though!! [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    have fun

BAM

Hi KT,

I have come across something similar with an HP5 printer.

What resolved the problem was going to Tools/Option/Compatibility and turning on "Use printer metrics to lay out document"

Worth a try anyway...
    ~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

KTYorke

I will most definitely try that the next time it happens... which hopefully won't be for a long time... I'll report back with results.
    thanks!! [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    have fun

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I sometimes get funny fonts when I've switched to different printer; or most of the styles disappear if I choose the "Generic text printer"