New Lounger
    Thanks

Setting up Outlook after NT user was deleted. (2000)

Hi,

I am having some problems setting up Outlook after my NT user was deleted.

When I start Outlook, an Installation dialog pops up asking for the location of the Data1.msi file. I point it to the CD and everything seems to start up fine, but then the same thing happens when I start Outlook a second time. How do I fix this?

Also, I can't figure out how to point Outlook to my old .pst file. I tried searching for whatever .pst file it is using but there are no other .pst files on my computer. How do I change what .pst file Outlook is using?

Thanks,
    *:> Scott

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setting up Outlook after NT user was deleted. (2000)

What version of Outlook are you using and how was it installed? As far as the pst goes, you can specify which pst to use by going to tools->options then go to the Other tab. Click on the autoarchive button. Where it says "move old items to", enter the path and file name for the pst.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setting up Outlook after NT user was deleted.

I am using Outlook 2000. I am not sure how it was installed. I believe it was installed from the CD over the network.

I tried the .pst thing and that looks like it changed where my stuff will be archived to. However, Outlook still doesn't show any of my old emails that are saved in that .pst file.

Thanks,

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setting up Outlook after NT user was deleted. (2000)

are you running the install while logged on with an account that has admin rights or only user rights?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have user rights to Exchange and Admin rights to my NT workstation.

Lounger
    Thanks

Your Outlook was probably installed as part of the Office installation. It sounds to me though that it was installed via an administrative installation point since you said it installed over the network. When the installer asks for the data1.msi, try pointing it to the data1.msi from the network share.

By the way, why was your profile deleted? Unfortunately, the default path for pst files points to the folder for your NT profile. Since your NT profile was deleted, everything including your pst goes away with it. Unless you specifically changed the path for your original pst, I'm afraid it's gone.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I believe it was installed as part of an Office installation. I checked and MS Word also exhibits the same behavior. I cannot find the data1.msi on the network (it is pointing to a now invalid server). I am almost certain that this file is not on the network anymore. The servers have recently been rebuilt and Domain names have changed.

Profile was deleted as a result of the following:
    1) I logged on to my computer in a LAN situation and my user was authenticated via the domain server. Thus, although I logged in as smetzger(and had Admin rights to my machine), if you looked in the NT User Manager there was no user smetzger on my machine.
    2) Moved from El Paso, TX to Carlisle PA (about 2000 miles). Continued to work remotely using a 3rd party VPN. I was able to log on and everything worked peachy. However, whenever I logged on to my machine I would get a message saying something about using cached user information because the server couldn't be contacted. This was because the VPN client can't be activated until after machine was logged on to.
    3) Everything works fine for almost a year. Servers are rebuilt last week, they are renaimed, and the Domain name is changed.
    4) I try to change the domain on my NT Machine. I go through the steps and it askes me to reboot. I reboot and try logging in to the new domain but I am unable, because the VPN is not connected and there is no chached information to use.
    5) I log in as Administrator and find that there is no backup user registry settings in HKEY_USER. I also can't use the 'Copy Profile' from My Computer to copy my old profile to a new profile. I am able to manually copy a profile from the actual WinNT/profiles directory and that seems to fix a majority of my applications.

I do have my original .pst file. It was in a different directory other than the default and besides I back this file up on a weekly basis.

Thanks,

Lounger
    Thanks

Try doing a detect and repair by going to add/remove programs, highlighting MS Office then clicking on add/remove. If this still doesn't work, you might have to do a remove/uninstall and re-install of Office. I'm glad you were able to locate your original pst. As far as your other problems are concerned, it sounds like your machine is not a member of a domain at this time. Unfortunately, the only way you can do that is to connect to your LAN directly and "join" your machine to your domain. You might need your office tech support to do that for you because it would require domain admin rights.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Detect and Repair didn't work. I got the same dialog box saying "The feature you are trying to access is on a network resource that is not available" Na dhten it asks for the new path to Data1.msi. After selecting the new path (that points to the Office installation disk) I get a dialog saying "the installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it." Looks like I will have to do a new install, I don't think I can even uninstall. If I install to the same directories will I get a clean install? Or should I install, uninstall, then install again?

I can't connect to my LAN directly. Its kind of weird because I presently log on to my machine's own domain, but under Control Panel->Network my machine is listed as being ELPASO, which is the domain that I tried to 'setup'.

Thanks,

Lounger
    Thanks

The reason it won't do a detect and repair is because an admin install was done to install Office on your machine as opposed to a client install. You would need to remove Office completely before re-installing. Installing over an existing installation most likely will not work. Better yet, connect to your LAN directly (go to the office and connect through ethernet) then do a detect and repair. Your machine is not in any domain right now. It would be on a workgroup. If all you see is ELPASO in Network properties, then ELPASO is probably shown as your computer name. Most likely, the two fields under "Member of" would be blank. Like what I stated earlier, your machine would have to be "joined" to the domain first before you can connect to your domain. Have your local tech support do that for you. While your tech support is at it, ask about the full path to the Office administrative installation share. You will need that info when the detect and repair asks you to point it to the appropriate location for the data1.msi.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well under Network my Computer Name is listed as SMETZGER and my Domain is listed as ELPASO.

I cannot take my computer to the office and directly connect to the LAN. We are 2000 miles apart.

My tech support is pretty much non-existent. We have no official SysAdmin and we are a very small company.

The servers have been switched out. Server names have changed and the Domain Name has changed. The old server may not still be around and I doubt that the Office administrative installation share even exists anymore. I am attempting to find out if it does exist and what the new path is. Ok, I got a path but I get the following message: The file filesrvr01SoftdistOffice 2000CD#1 is not a valid installation package for the product Microsoft Office 2000 Professional. Try to find the installation package 'data1.msi' in a folder from which you can install Mocrosoft Office 2000 Professional.

Assuming that the Office administrative installation share is gone. How can I re-install Office as a client installation? I already tried installing over the old installation and it again asks for the location of data1.msi and when I point it to the data1.msi on the installation disk the install fails.

Thanks,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ok, I got everything working. I found the Data1.msi file and thus the Office Admin Shared install directory. I had to first log into the server by prefixing my username with ELPASO (because I am not really on the ELPASO domain).

I was able to get my old archived email by right clicking on Outlook Today and selecting Open Personal Folders File (.pst).

Thanks for the help,

Lounger
    Thanks

Doing a client install is just double clicking on the setup.exe that is found on the CD after removing the existing installation. I'm not sure if your CD will have it though since I think it is not the actual shrink wrap CD. In your case, you need to get your hands on an off the shelf version of the CD to do a client install.