Thread: sorting (vb6)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

sorting (vb6)

I am making a simple database, I would like the access database to automatically be sorted after i input the new data, what command do I have to put in my button that will do this?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: sorting (vb6)

In Microsoft Access, you don't sort the raw data. Records in a table are always in the order they were added to the table.

If you set a primary key on a table, the records will be displayed sorted by the primary key by default. You can also create a query that sorts the records the way you want, and use that to as record source for your form.

If you want the records displayed in a form to be sorted immediately after you enter a new record, that can be very confusing to the user. You can requery the record source of the form, but this means that the record just added "jumps".

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You don't sort databases, you sort queries or recordsets. Are you working in Access or in VB6?
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am working in VB6 bit the datascroll i am using connects to a Access database. The thing is that once the program closes and is reopen the records are automatically sorted anyway, I want to mimic this in my code so that when the user enters the name of the new file it is automatically sorted so it is easier to find.

I have tried to use this command but it does not work

dtScroll.recordset.sort

where dtscroll is the name of the datascroll member that is attached the the access database.

thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry but I have not idea what a datascroll is. Is that a custom control or are you using the term to describe something like the data repeater?
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

sorry, my bad. It is called 'Data' if you were to mouseover it in the toolbox. It is next to the image control and ole control in my toolbox.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The Refresh method of the data control will re-read the records in the RecordSource. Make sure that the RecordSource has the desired sort order, for instance by using a query

SELECT ... FROM ... ORDER BY ...

and force it to re-read the records with

dtScroll.Refresh

in your code.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I am still a beginner and donot know how to query all that well, could you please provide me with a small example.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Your Data control dtScroll has a RecordSource property. You can set this to one of the following:

(1) The name of a table in your Access database
    (2) The name of a stored query in your Access database
    (3) A SQL string that gets data from your Access database.

Probably, the RecordSource property is set to the name of a table at the moment, let's say tblSourceData. You want your date to be sorted by a field or a combination of fields, let's say by Company and within Company by LastName.

The SQL string that returns the records of tblSourceData by Company and LastName is:

<pre>SELECT * FROM tblSourceData ORDER BY Company,LastName;</pre>

The easiest way to use this is to replace the table name in the RecordSource of the dtScroll control by this SQL string.

(You can also create a query in the Access database with this SQL string, save it and set the RecordSource of the dtScroll control to the name of this query. If you have a lot of data, this is more efficient.)

You probably have some code to add a new record. At the end of this code, you can add an instruction

dtScroll.Refresh

This forces the data control to re-read the records from the RecordSource. You can also put a command button on your form with caption "Refresh" and wih this instruction in its Click event handler.

HTH,
    Hans