5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slow typing (XP on WinXP)

When I type in Word XP the screen display lags way behind my typing, which is not fast. I've heard about this problem but can't find anything in a search of this forum. Is there an option I've missed?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow typing (XP on WinXP)

THough this has nothing to do with word (directly).... try this: Go to "Find Files or Folders". In the Name field, type "*.tmp". Delete all of these files. They are files generated when you open and close word files... and they can greatly slow down word.... But don't ask me the Technical side of WHY.

Hope it works, jody

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Musical's suggestion is a good one. Do you notice this lag on other programs? Are you experiencing a general slow down of your machine? It sounds like you might have a background application or thread hogging your CPU cycles. Could be a virus, worm, or spyware.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you check in Task Manager to see what process is using CPU cycles?

StuartR

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart: Sorry for the delay in responding. This problem occurred at a client site and I just got back there yesterday. Using Task Manager I can see Word's usage fluctuate between 50 and 95% for 10 - 15 seconds, then settle down to a normal (?) 20%. The problem starts when I start typing very rapidly. After a few lines Word appears to lock up, but it is really going through the gyrations I described above. Eventually it returns to normal and the display catches up with what I typed. If I type slowly, Word has no trouble keeping up.

A friend told me about something he saw on the Norton Antivirus support site that might help. All it said for NAV 2002 on XP was to uncheck the Enable Office Plug-in in Options/Miscellaneous. I did, but to no avail.

Howard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have any word templates loaded? Some of these can be pretty compute intensive and may get triggered by some of the keys you are typing, for example there was one posted here the other week that counted the number of words everytime you typed a space.

StuartR

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Howard:
    This is a wild guess, as I haven't used Word 2002. I do recall people mentioning similar problems with previous Office versions when things like "Find Fast" was turned on (in the Control Panel) & "Journalling" was turned on in Outlook. I don't know if those are still used in XP.
    Cheers,