Thread: Private toolbar

A.Rubin

Private toolbar

I'm trying to create a toolbar which will only appear in a particular Workbook. Somehow or other I've managed (probably by improper use of the Customize / Toolbars / Attach) to have Excel crash whenever I open a Workbook other than the one which has that toolbar. Any ideas?

BTW, this is my first post here, and I have not yet been able to get a copy of Excel 97 Annoyances from the local library. It should be in any day now, but my copy of Excel is still Annoying. Excel version appears to be Excel 97 SR-2 (f). BTW2, I do not have authority to install patches, or to edit the registry (directly -- double-clicking a .reg file seems to work, but RegEdit itself is disabled.)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Private toolbar

A couple of questions and a few suggestions:

1- If you Right click on a blank spot in the tool bar and select customize from the pop up menu and then click on the Reset button, does Excel still "crash?"

2- Can you be a little more specific about what you mean by "crash?" Do you get a message of any kind?

3- Does Excel "crash" if you just open it with a new workbook?

4- Do you have any files in your XLStart directory? If so, try moving them to another directory and see if Excel still crashes.

5- If you start Excel, and then do a File Open, select a workbook, and then hold down the Shift key when you press the Open button (hold it down until the file either opens or Excel crashes), does Excel still crash?
    Legare Coleman

A.Rubin

Re: Private toolbar

The crash was a UUE, if any file other than the one containing the toolbar and associated macros is opened, or on directly running Excel. It may have been exacerbated by network problems (Excel is installed as a multi-user license, believe it or not.) The crashes seem to have stopped now, and I have a workable solution (the toolbar is only visible while the workbook containing the macros is open), but it's not exactly what I was looking for. The macros attached to the toolbar buttons now include the full file name.

What I was looking for was a toolbar that would only appear while I was editing a particular workbook, referring to macros that are in that workbook.