New Lounger
    Thanks

Master documents and circular references (WIndows 98, Office 2000)

Just wondered whether it is a common problem that I've got:

My Masterdocument is now saying that it can't open one of my subdocuments "because subdocument XXX is the current master document or it contains the current Master document as a subdocument". There was no error message prior to this happening.

Word seems to have created a lovely circular reference. Needless to say, I can now no longer open my subdocument either, and I get the same message. More worryingly, my subdocument has gone down to about 1/15th the size it should be, and I can't get into it in Notepad or Wordpad. It is the literature review for my PhD thesis! Aarrgghhh! I have an (old-ish) back-up but since i was planning to use Masterdocuments to format my thesis I'm quite keen to find out what's happened.

Have you any ideas? Especially on how I can get that text back.....

And while I'm here, is there a known glitch between Reference Manager and word Masterdocs - because that's what I was trying to do, create one bibliography from all my different chapters.....

Thanks

Thanks

Re: Master documents and circular references (WIndows 98, Office 2000)

You are about to be deluged with people saying Never In A Million Years Trust Any Document You Don't Want to Type Again To The Master Documents Feature.

I've never used the feature myself, so I don't know how to resolve the reference problem. Perhaps, however, you might be able to salvage the contents of the subdocument by creating a new document and using Insert > File... to insert the subdocument? Then you could rename the subdocument and see if the master is happier.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Master documents and circular references (WIndows 98, Office 2000)

You might try starting Word, & try opening the document directly, not from the Master Document. If that doesn't work, try opening it by scrolling in the "Files of type" box to the option "Recover text from any file". Good luck!